Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Praktica FX Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Praktica FX « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

CJ

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 07:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

An acqaintance of mine has one of these, and is considering selling it. What's the value of that camera? On various sites where I've looked, it doesn't appear to be that valuable--going for under $50 (with lens). Do they have some 'fatal flaw' with their mechanicals that makes them unreliable? (I'm reminded of the Contax shutter curtains I've read about.)

I'd want to shoot with this thing, so it's got to be relatively reliable.
It's certainly unusual (to me, at least). It's got the waist-level finder, a Carl Zeiss 50/2.8 lens...no auto mirror return.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 04:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have always found early Prakticas built like the proverbial 'brick **** house'.My FX-2 and IV-F are still going strong and have hardly been touched, compared with some other makes from that period that I use.

They are not valuable, using my price conversion fiddle - change $ sign to £ sign - your price compares with the price of nice examples here in UK.

Note; you can pick up a clip-on pentaprism quite easily off eBay for the FX models. I have seen 3 or four in the last 12 months.

If the camera looks nice - obviously been looked after and the shutter blinds are not pin-holed/burnt (bright sunlight, lens left at infinity and no lens-cap fitted - only real problem with non return mirror if you are not used to same), then buy and enjoy. There are some cracking optics available at rock bottom prices.

Also bear in mind that these models are ideal for DIY cla work, even if you are a beginner.

tim_a

Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 04:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have two copies of the FX, which is generally reliable and does not have much which can go wrong. Both had exhibited shutter tapering to some extent, usually more apparent at the higher shutter speeds (1/100 or more). The shutter can be accessed for cleaning and lubrication fairly easily by removing the interior film gate plate and camera bottom. The waist level finder is great for copy and macro work, once you get used to it.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration