Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Praktica FX & Carl Zeiss Jena 50/2.8 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Praktica FX & Carl Zeiss Jena 50/2.8 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

CJ

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 02:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

I've purchased the above camera, and have some questions about it:

- What's the size is the filter thread? I suspect it's a 39mm, but I'm not sure. (This lens fits the description of the "type 0" CZ lens. (narrow, chrome barrel)

- it's definitely an M42 mount, but it blocks my ST-605's mirror. Darn.

- I'd lik to buy an M42 adapter for a Nikon or Pentax-K body. How can I be sure the lens won't interfere with the mirror?

- Also: Given the 50mm focal length of this lens, I thought that there wouldn't be intrusion by the rear part of the lens (not the lens element with the 50/2.5; it's the black part of the barrel which blocks the mirror.

- It's got three flash contacts on the front: 'M', 'X", and...what's the one in the middle?

tim_a

Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 04:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The black part of the CZJ 50's barrel extends too far into the mirror chamber on my ME Super, MX, and *ist DS. The mirror will hit this part on all of these cameras.

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 07:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

CJ,

If your Tessar is a manual pre-set lens, its filter diameter should be 40.5mm.

The third flash contact is 'FP' for Focal Plane Bulbs. 'M' and 'FP' were used for flash bulbs which had a different length of burn and a different peak of burn. 'X' is used for electronic flash.

All the best,

Jan

CJ

Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 01:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jan and Tim,

Thank you very much for your responses. I neglected to ask: What is the lens cap size for this one, also?

Jan: Yep, it's the lens with the aperture 'pre-setting' feature using the frontmost ring. It's a pretty neat capability, actually: You can set the necessary f-stop, then flip the lens wide-open to focus, then back to your pre-set f-stop to take the picture. I'm very impressed with the engineering and build quality of this camera.

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 07:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

CJ,

You can use either a 42mm push-on cap, or a 40.5mm snap-in cap. Yes, the build quality of these early Carl Zeiss Jena lenses was superb. Unfortunately, it deteriorated during the 1970's, as supply of proper materials and modern technology faltered in the communist East Germany.

All the best,

Jan

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration