Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon AE-1 top removal Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Canon AE-1 top removal « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Todd

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 10:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am having trouble removing the top of my canon ae-1 I have the asa off but I am having trouble removing the shutter release button and where do I go from there anyway? Please help!

Doug Wilson

Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 10:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do not try to remove the shutter release button, it is part of the top cover assembly. Remove the film advance lever, its associated parts, and the c-clip underneath. Remove all top cover screws (including the two behind the lens mount ring cover) and lift the top cover off the camera.

Ed

Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 09:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

you should be careful to set the shutter/asa to B and 3200 asa before you remove the jam nut that holds it. After you remove the nut lift the assy a little and rotate slightly clockwise. This remove the tension from the tungsten cable that couples to the rewind side of camera. If you don't do this, there is a good possibility of the cable breaking, then in bad trouble.

rick

Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 06:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the sketches here aren't very pretty, but they may point you in the right direction:

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-157.html

Dave

Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 04:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Email me and ill send you the section from the service manual. As the person above stated its important to do it with everything at the right settings. Dave

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration