Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Brightening brightlines: Retina IIIc Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Brightening brightlines: Retina IIIc « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

BrianShaw

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 11:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm having an embarassingly large number of poorly composed images with my Kodak Retina IIIc. I cleaned the viewfinder/rangefinder windows (inside and out) and the rangefinder is brighter than it was, but the brightlines are still dull. I have a hard time seeing them and have been inadvertently composing within the entire viewfinder... which is > 100%. Can they be brightened or refreshed?

Winfried

Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 01:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The brightness of the bright lines (relative to the main image) is related to the reflection/transmission ratio of a semi-silvered mirror. To increase the brightness you would have to replace this mirror.

BrianShaw

Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 03:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wonderful. Thanks Winfried. I have the complete manual but have been reluctant to teardown the rangefinder for even a cleaning. I'll re-read that section before I start disassembling.

Winfried

Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 02:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you disassemble the rangefinder, take care of the 'entry window'. It is a sandwich of various glass plates (at least one of them partially semi-silvered), lenses and rectangular apertures. Leave a note how they came apart.

rick oleson

Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 08:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is a source for semisilvered beamsplitter stock:

http://scientificsonline.com/product.asp?pn=3043359&bhcd2=1148307524

I use the 50%/50% variety. I haven't done this in a Retina, but the 1mm thick stock is good for most applications.

BrianShaw

Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 10:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Rick... that was going be my next question, I'm sure!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration