Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Micro Nikkor 55mm - apertures not wor... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Micro Nikkor 55mm - apertures not working « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Guy Munro

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 09:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a manual Micro Nikkor 55mm lens and it stays open at f2.8, i.e. maximum aperture. Anybody knows if it is a simple, low cost job to repair this? Or would it be too much for the value of the lens? I loved this lens because I could take very sharp pictures with it. I live in Montreal, Canada.

Stuart Willis

Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 12:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The first incarnation of the 55mm Micro-Nilkkor featured an automatic extra exposure Stop when in close focus. Such was a pain in the posterior. Nikon responded to market forces and dispensed with such feature on later models. I am simply saying that the Micro-Nikkor is a little more complicated than the norm.

It is arguably one of the finest lenses ever produced by Nikon and you'd be well advised not to fiddle with it. I would be taking to the Canadian Nikon Importer Service Department and asking for a service estimate.

Hope this helps

rick oleson

Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 08:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This problem is probably caused by the diaphragm blades being sticky with oil. In the 55/2.8 Micro Nikkor the diaphragm is removable from the rear as a unit for cleaning.... it is not difficult or time consuming to do and the repair should not be expensive.

A more common problem in this lens is stiff focusing, caused by the extra helical that operates a floating internal element to improve image quality at longer distances. Having this fixed at the same time will increase the cost but it's probably worth doing.

Guy Munro

Posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 08:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks a lot for those answers. I will have the lens examined by Nikon for an estimate. I hope it is only caused by the diaphragm blades being sticky with oil. I won't play with it myself, having neither the tools nor the knowledge to do it.

Don

Posted on Saturday, June 03, 2006 - 10:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

My name is Don and I'm from www.procamerarepair.com, we would de-assemble the entire lens and place the diaphragm blades in an ultrasonic cleaner and clean all the optics for about $95+10s/h. If Nikon decides not to repair it, feel free to send it over yonder.

Kind regards
Don

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration