Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus XA - self timer always on Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Olympus XA - self timer always on « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

abeku

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 01:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
My XA has the self timer option always on. When I press the shutter button there's the standard countdown until the shutter's fired. When I check with the arm under the camera, the battery signal is normal and it behaves normally with the self timer option on. However, to have the self timer on even when it is shut off is quite annoying. Please, are there any good ideas out there where I should start to look?

M Currie

Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 07:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had an XA2 do the same thing. It's apparently not that uncommon. I asked around and was told it's probably an integrated circuit failure, and not readily repairable without a donor camera, and probably not easy to do in any case.

Stuart Willis

Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 09:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well ... its just a three position Switch. I woudn't be writing off the camera on the basis of a speculated IC failure without first checking the Switch operation. Could be something as simple as a grain of sand; some muck - or a weak wiper arm which just needs a little judicious bending.

Both Tomosy in his Book 1, and Romney is his Basic Training Book, provide helpful guidelines on relatively easy access to that Switch.
If you can't find - or are not directed to a suitable URL by any other contributers here - then drop me a direct email and I'll try to summarise the procedure for you.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration