Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Zenit EM + Helios 44M Shutter Locks O... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Zenit EM + Helios 44M Shutter Locks Open « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

George McClelland

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 08:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi
I have an old Zenit EM that has been hanging around for a while normally with a zoom lens on, and works ok... (i think, not actually put any film through)
The original Helios 44M lens gives me some problems though. When attempting to take a photo, the shutter opens, and the only way to close it again seems to be unscrewing the lens.
By poking at the camera and lenses, the problem seems to be the pin that protrudes at the camera end. On the zoom lens, this pin is easy to press, and stops down the aperture, however on the helios lens the pin is stuck fast.
Could i remove the pin to use the helios, or would this cause more trouble?
George

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 08:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can turn the Helios into a 'stopped down manual' lens by applying epoxy to the pin, making sure pin is fully pressed in, and cutting off the excess. However why not give the mount/rear of the lens a clean and a spot of lube. This will soon free the pin up and allow lens to function properly.

George McClelland

Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 08:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thankyou for your prompt response.
Any recommendations on how to clean the pin? I cannot glue the pin in as it is stuck out, however the lens permanently functions in the manual mode, even when set to A

rick oleson

Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 01:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the pin is not damaged you should be able to clean it with a drop of solvent applied where it enters the hole in the back of the lens. However, if it's jammed this tight I suspect that the pin is bent and jammed solid in the hole. This could probably only be corrected by removing the pin to straighten it.... or, if you have an auto/manual switch on the lens and don't mind using it manually, just saw the little bugger off and have a manual lens....

George McClelland

Posted on Monday, May 29, 2006 - 04:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for all your help
I had the back off the lens today, and have mostly fixed it, the pin sometimes catches in a little, but I think I can live with that.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration