Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica Minister or Lynx viewfinder g... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Yashica Minister or Lynx viewfinder glass removal « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jan Dvorak

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 11:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am in the process of using parts from a Yashica Minister III to revive a Lynx 14. Namely - the large front viewfinder lens, which was broken on the Lynx.

The lens is glued to the rangefinder assembly and I am afraid that I might end up with two broken finder optics if I do not use care while removing it from the Minister III.

Would anybody know what glue was used to hold the finder lens in place and what might make it easy to remove without breaking it?

To be specific - I am referring to the large, main viewfinder lens on the front of the camera.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jan

Reiner

Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 01:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I do not know what kind of glue was used but I would take acetone in your case. When softening glues acetone was allways the best solution. But be careful: this stuff was made in hell. Remove the donor rangefinder from the camera and moisten only the glue around the donor finder lens. Try to losen it carefully. When it is still too fix apply more acetone and let it sit a while.

Good luck! Please let us know if it worked.

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 01:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Reiner,

Acetone as in Nail Polish Remover? I guess that might work too?

Thanks,

Jan

rick

Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 09:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, it's the same stuff. Most nail polish removers have oils and stuff in them, which probably doesn't really hurt for your purpose.... but some are pure acetone and marked as such. that's probably the best.

keep it away from anything that has any chance of being plastic.....

Roy Randall

Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 12:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jan.
A safer option might be alcohol. The glass components that I have dealt with of that era seem to use shellac as an adhesive, and shellac, when used for French polishing is dissolved in alcohol. Also I have had no problems with it removing paint or damaging anything.
Hope that helps.
Roy.

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 02:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks to everybody for the help. Weekend is coming up and after I cut the lawn, power wash the sundeck, re-build the fence and take the dog for numerous walks I hope I will find time to sit down and relax with my pet projects.

Whichever solvent I use will have to be fairly strong, as the finder lens is quite fragile and seems to be glued in for good.....

All the best,

Jan

Reiner

Posted on Saturday, May 27, 2006 - 01:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jan,

when they really used shellac for glueing you should try alcolhol first. No tuzemak however, better pure ethanol or isopropene. Alcohol is a good shellac solvent. In this case it is recommended to use shellac for glueing too. It did not imagine that they might have used such an old fashioned in the 70ties. But why not?

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Saturday, May 27, 2006 - 09:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Reiner,

It would be a sacrileage to use 'Tuzemák' for such a mundane project. I have lived in Vancouver for close to 40 years; whenever I bring it back from Prague, my wife lays a claim to it for Christmas baking.

I found the Austrian Inländer Rum to be quite similar, but not an easy find in Canada. Apparently, both the 'Tuzemák' and the 'Inländer' cannot use the word 'Rum' on their labels anymore, due to EU laws. This should not be a surprise, since they are both as far removed from real rum as American beer is from real beer....

There - totally of the subject, but your knowledge of such a local specialty as Tuzemák was quite a shocker for me, especially on this forum.

MfG,

Jan

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Sunday, June 04, 2006 - 11:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just wanted to report success in transplanting the finder lens! I believe it was Ronsonol that did the trick, as I never got to try any alcohol. The Lynx 14 is now complete and just needs some blade cleaning to bring it to its former glory.

Thanks to everybody!

Jan

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration