Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Zorki 4K shutter speed dial jammed Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Zorki 4K shutter speed dial jammed « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mike

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 10:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just bought a Zorki 4K off that famous internet auction site. Trouble is, the shutter speed dial doesn't turn, it's stuck on 1/2 second. I've made sure the shutter was cocked before trying to turn it, I just wonder if the last owner did as well. Manual says lift up and turn, but mine won't lift up or turn. Trying to get in touch with the seller, but am I doing anything wrong? Any tricks I should know about?

Any help appreciated.

Mike.

rick oleson

Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 11:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you can't lift the knob, then it will be impossible to turn it. I don't know if its being stuck down necessarily indicates a fatal condition, but it's not good. Keep trying to lift it and see if maybe it's just dirty... if you once get it free you'll probably be able to clean it up.

Mike

Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 11:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Rick.

I might get my old friend Ronsonol to help. Still waiting on the seller...

Mike.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 01:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I may be wrong in this recollection, Zorki'1' being my thing, but I seem to remember that there is a coil spring involved in the knob return. Remove the actual knob by removing the grub-screws and if my memory is correct you should see a slot-head screw in centre of the dial shaft extension. The spring in question is under this screw/extension. If spring is broken/missing the extension shaft may not lift because it is jammed.

As stated I may be talking utter rubbish, it is a long time since I was inside a 4K and I have not got a specimen to check. However I am sure Rick will know the exact construction of the top of the shutter/dial shaft and soon correct me.

If you do not force the dial, it does no harm moving it with the shutter uncocked. You just cannot set the correct speeds untill you cock the shutter. Unfortunately in the uncocked state the only way to set certain speeds against the datum line is to force the dial. Forcing the dial causes the little pin/finger that actually sets the correct speed, by fitting in the appropriate slot/hole, to break off as it is forced against the integral stop. If this pin/finger is just bent, it is possible that it has been forced back into the 1/2 second slot/hole. It is thus the pin jammed in the slot, that is preventing the shutter dial from lifting.

Once you have the top off it will be possible to see if the pin/finger is bent and jammed in the 1/2 sec slot/hole

Mike

Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 02:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's just got worse. The shutter dial poppped up after some gentle encouragement and it worked fine for half a film or so. Then, for no reason, it stopped working again, but this time the shutter dial spins freely with the shutter speed set permanantly to B. And there's something loose inside. Bearing in mind this didn't work from the start and was sold as a working camera I think I'll be sending it back. Thanks for all the help. Maybe there's a reason why this only cost £8. Any good Zorki's out there?

Sam Spade

Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 03:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Mike, sounds like the speed pins broke. Glenn's dead accurate in his description (good memory) RE: slotted screw under speed dial. I was about to add the same and warn against forcing the dial but seeing as you now have a dead Zorki I don't think I'll add insult to injury. Yes there are a few good Zorki's out here, I have 6 and they all needed CLA to make them perform as should. I also have 3 in bits waiting for surgery! Get a 4 next time, I think they're better than the K, just me and my thoughts. Did you buy it off ebay? Sam.

Mike

Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 03:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, off ebay. Why are the 4's better than the 4K's? The lever made me go for the K. It was a Zorki or a Kiev 4, but I like the look of the Zorki better. May sound silly, but camera's have to look good as well. Unless the Kiev is that much better, in which case I may try one next time.

Sam Spade

Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 04:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's a feeling more than anything else; out of my collection I have three K's the rest are 4's and for some reason I find the 4 more reliable, almost as good as a Mir; though that being said, they are all well over 30/40 years old so I guess it's just wear and tear on the K's is greater because of the winder, just me and my thoughts once again. Plus: I have found that the flange to film plane distance on all my 4's was within acceptable limits (give or take a flat film plate) only one K has the correct distance, the others I've had to reset. Think when the Russkys new they were coming to an end quality control (what there was of it) went out the Kremlin window! Yes, I prefer the look of the Zorki to the Kiev (less complicated too) funny that: Though you can't beat an 3M; well, you can, bit only with a Yashica 35! Are you going to send it back?
Sam

Mike

Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 04:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, I'll send it back. Not much money, but it's the principle. You shouldn't sell broken camera's pretending they're ok even if they are dirt cheap. I'll get another, but the question is whether I risk ebay again (never had a problem before) or pay more from a dealer. It's a shame really, I was looking forward to using that camera this weekend.

Sam Spade

Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 05:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've bought 4 of my Zorki's off ebay and had no problems; one very nice guy in portsmouth sold me a 4 as spares or repair due to non working shutter. I paid 2.99 for it + post and when it arrived I spent 15 minutes with my tool kit and it now runs like a dream; nice condition too! I wasn't lucky, just bought from an honest seller. I'm watching a couple on ebay at the moment; if you're thinking of buying another let me know (email me) and I'll point out the ones that I think look okay. Keep away from imports, they cost more in the long run and there are 1000's of Zorki's over here.
All the best.
Sam.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration