Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Cleaning LTM Summarit f1.5 Haze Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Cleaning LTM Summarit f1.5 Haze « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Pedro Reis

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 04:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi ppl.
I searched the forum but i didnt found any reference to this lens.
Anyone can send me ikn the right direction on how to
disassemble and celan the haze on this lens?
Thanks

Pedro

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 08:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Unfortunately I think you will find that the 'Haze' will not clean off. Leitz used a very reactive (in the chemical sense) glass in some of their early lenses. What you see, is caused by the moisture in the air reacting with the surface of the glass.

The only chance of removing this 'chemical fog' is to have the elements professionally re-polished. No matter what people say, you cannot do it yourself and retain the original performance.

Pedro Reis

Posted on Saturday, May 27, 2006 - 07:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dammm.... How can i be shure that my lens has such glass?
Serial on lens is 1391210.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Saturday, May 27, 2006 - 07:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pedro,

My understanding is that ALL these lenses suffer. The lens was produced in two versions - optics are the same, but at some point in production the mechanics of the lens barrel were altered.

The following site has a good description of the 'fogging/haze' and lists other Leitz lenses that suffer. Do not be put off that the Title of article is M lenses. Every lens that will fit M Series bodies is mentioned, even the LTM and 39mm screw mount lenses that can use the M mount adapters.

www.cameraquest.com/mlenses.htm

Another word of warning on the Summarit, the front element is made from a very soft glass. It is thus very prone to being scratched by too forceful cleaning methods.

There seems to be quite a bit on the web about Leitz lens 'fogging', I can only suggest you do a search.

Glenn.

Pedro Reis

Posted on Saturday, May 27, 2006 - 07:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just saw the site, thanks.
It will be a nice paperweight lens :)))

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration