Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Petri ES Auto / Minolta HiMatic E - w... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Petri ES Auto / Minolta HiMatic E - white spots on lenses « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Reiner

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, May 27, 2006 - 01:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi friends,

on the Petri ES Auto, the identical Petri Computor II and the Minolta HiMatic E I often saw mysterious spots on the lenses mostly white ones. They were not fungus and it was not possible to clean them away even not with vinegar, ammoniac, alcohol, lighter fluid and toothpaste with water. They showed up at the rear surface of the front lens group and the front and the rear surface of the rear lens group but never within the lens groups. The majority of those camera I saw had such spots with more or less intensity.

I wonder whether the issue migth be somehow related to the Seikosha-ESF shutter they all share. At the same time the spots seem to be problems of the lens coating because around them there is often no coating. It seems that the coating is concentrated in one spot.

All your thoughts and ideas to this issue are wellcome. Did somebody have the same observations?

WernerJB

Posted on Saturday, May 27, 2006 - 04:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, Reiner, I can positively confirm the same phenomenon on several of the cameras mentioned. In my cases they had in common that the mercury batteries had leaked into the bodies, and that is why I assume the spots may have been caused by fumes or wetness originating from the chemistry of those batteries (similar to "black wire corrosion").
On the other hand most of those spots were removable with vinegar, they did not disappear as easily and quickly as traces of fungus, but became almost invisible after some rubbing (cotton swabs moisted with vinegar), the usual procedure.

Reiner

Posted on Saturday, May 27, 2006 - 05:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I discovered this phenomenon on some cameras where mercury batteries had leaked into the body and on 2 cameras where this was not the case. In all cases it was not possible for me to get rid of spots. Even soaking them with concentrated vinegar (25% acid) did not help.

In some cases I could reduce them in others not. And more mysterious: I did not observe this phenomenon on other cameras. The Olympus 35 DC has the same shutter. So far I did not oberserve these spots on Olys even not on those with leaked batteries.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration