Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Broken screw removal Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Broken screw removal « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Pedro Reis

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, May 29, 2006 - 05:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi.
How would you try to remove a screw stub of about 0.5mm wide from its hole?
I thought open an hole in it but dont know exacly how to do it. Any experience in this kind of work out there??

This is a broken screw that holds the camera's winding lever, it was tighten too much and broke inside. I have a replacment screw but i need to get out the old one .

Winfried

Posted on Monday, May 29, 2006 - 06:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can try to press a hard and well-shaped (sharp) screwdriver blade on the stub. Also, sometimes you can set the corner of a small screwdriver plate off-center on the stub and turn the stub by gently hammering on the screwdriver top.

charlie

Posted on Monday, May 29, 2006 - 07:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some screws have left handed threads. Are you sure which you have? Good luck

rick

Posted on Monday, May 29, 2006 - 08:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a couple of small screwdrivers that I have filed a V-notch in the end to create a sharp pointed fork. Sometimes the tips of this will snag on the rough surface of the broken screw and let you back it out (once the head has broken off, the screw is usually no longer tight in the thread). Not as easy as I'd like it to be, though. If you can find a left-hand-twist drill that's small enough, that's probably best: make sure your drill is running backwards and start drilling the screw out. Once the drill has started into the screw a little way, it will usually just unscrew it from there. I've seen left-hand drills at the auto parts shops around here, I'm not sure what the smallest size is.

Pedro Reis

Posted on Monday, May 29, 2006 - 10:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, i'll try the tecnics you've mentioned.
The problem is that the stub is half way down the hole so not easly reached...

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration