Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Rolleicord II exposure counter reset Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Rolleicord II exposure counter reset « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ron

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, May 29, 2006 - 03:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
My Rolleicord II does not reset its counter properly. The mechanism to count is working. I.e. when turning the transport wheel, the counter dial moves on and the transport wheel is blocked at the next number. When getting past 12, the number 0 is just appearing, but it never quite gets there, and the wheel is not blocked anymore. That is ok ofcourse, to wind up the film. But then when the film has been taken out, somehow it needs to get on 0 properly I guess. I have read there is a procedure to press the button in the transport wheel and some other silver button. I am not sure of the last one.
Anyway, I expect there is a problem and attempted to open the side panel. Removed the leather, was able to dismount the film transport wheel, and concluded that the focussing wheel was not to be removed. Took off the four screws for the side panel under the leather, but then there is a problem. The side panel is still connected with a strange knob in the center. I suppose this is the silver button mentioned above.
What I want to know is how to get the side panel off so that I can see what is going wrong with the counting mechanism? Can anyone help? Thanks a lot!

Regards
Ron

RL

Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 12:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ron,
It is this silver button you have to push downwards, simultaniously depressing the button in the wind knob to reset the counter. The counter disk then returns to 0, it does not wind further. Maybe there is nothing wrong with the mechanism, but if you want to take the panel off,
the silver button has RH thread, you should be able to unscrew it very easily using an eraser.
I had the counter stuck on my II and it was caused by the side panel that was slighty pushed in rubbing on the counter. Go slowly, the counter disk is under spring tension. You want to know how much tension to put on it when reassembling.

Ron

Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 02:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have indeed seen the counter turning back under some spring tension. But then it went back to three. It looks like this is some kind of friction problem. Under the leather it looks like someone has glued on the leather at least once after the factory did it, so it has signs of repair.
I may have bend the panel myself while attempting to get it off.
Is the silver button supposed to be pushed towards the bottom panel of the camera? It can be moved a bit up and down, but not much. With downwards, you don't mean the same way as the wind knob, I guess.
And an eraser? You mean like a pencil eraser, or is this an english expression that I didn't catch? (Not a native speaker, you know... ;)

Thanks a lot, I am sure this will help when I am going to try it.

Ron

RL

Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 06:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ron,

To release the counter you depress the button in the wind knob and move the silver button very slightly downwards towards the bottom of the camera, not inwards. And, my mistake, the counter returns to 1 and not to 0.
After finishing the film the counter is on "o",you put in a fresh film, wind it on untill 1 appears in the red window at the bottom of of the camera, then you reset the countermechanism to 1. If you reset before putting in a new film, the counter does not correspond to the film advancement and the blocking mechanism stops before the end of the film.
An eraser to erase pencil marks or a piece of rubber, with pliers you risk marking the button, with the eraser apply pressure and unscrew the button.
On mine I straightened the side panel, which is very soft, and put a drop of oil on the counter disk pivot. ( after first taking the whole mechanism apart, which was not necessary,as it was the panel rubbing on the disk)and it now works without any problems.

Ron

Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 04:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That worked like a charm. It was even easier to use my thumb to take off the silver button. Once it was off, the panel got loose without a problem. It was so interesting to see the mechanism, and I could understand now how the whole thing works, and it hinted me in the direction of how the Rolleicord advances the film with a constant length, even though the roll gets thicker and thicker. I always thought it was the mechanism, but as there was nothing I now understood that the wheel that rolls on the film inside is ofcourse measuring lengths as it rolls the same with every cm of film that comes by.
I made sure there was enough tension in the spring inside the counter wheel, and gave some oil between that wheel and the underlying cogwheel and after some fiddling, I think it is working right now. It still doesn't reset all the time all the way, but much better.

Thanks again. I'll post another topic for some other questions I have, as I am not done with this Cord ;)

Ron

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration