Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Billy 1 focus stuck Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Billy 1 focus stuck « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

nathan

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, May 29, 2006 - 05:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i recently purchased a near mint billy 1 on which the focus seems to be seized. any sugestions?

Alex

Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 01:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

An Agfa Billy? Sounds like that very common problem, the lubricant in the threads has solidified. You can free it by careful application of naptha (lighter fuel) to loosen it up, after which you will need to take the front lens assembly off (unscrewing the infinity post if there is one), clean out all the old dried-up grease from the threads, and re-grease it with a few spots of silicon grease. Be quite thorough in getting rid of the old grease -- I found that cotton tips dipped in naptha and wooden cocktail sticks to get into the threads work well. You can get a tube of silicon grease from an electronics shop (like Maplin in the UK). Make sure you take a note of the point at which the lens assembly comes off, in order to make it easier to get it back on, and test for focussing again.

nathan

Posted on Thursday, June 01, 2006 - 04:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thank you. that worked swimmingly. i now have a beatiful and fully functioning billy.

Alex

Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 12:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's excellent. I have a few of these old Agfa folders and they are great fun to use, and you even get a few admiring stares when you are seen taking pictures with it. Hope you get plenty of use out of it now.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration