Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Retina IIIS loose shutter assembly Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Retina IIIS loose shutter assembly « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dave

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, June 02, 2006 - 10:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Retina IIIS (the rangefinder that shares lenses with the later Retina reflex slrs) and the shutter assembly wobbles slightly I pealed up the leatherette directly below the lightmeter, and found that the main plate that bolts into the camera body is firmly attached, however everything not covered by the leatherette wobbles back and forth a little. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what has come loose, and the best way to re-attach the shutter assembly.

Ed

Posted on Friday, June 02, 2006 - 06:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

there is probably a jam nut at the rear of the shutter.

Chris Sherlock

Posted on Saturday, June 03, 2006 - 03:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, that last suggestion won't get you anywhere useful, I'm sorry. The whole shutter gets loose on this model because the screws holding the shutter mount to the front plate get loose. To get to the screws you have to remove the front plate with the shutter attached, and to do that you need to remove the front leatherettes, and the film advance lever, back catch, leatherette and chrome trim from the base of the camera. Before you remove the front plate set the film speed to ASA10, shutter speed to B, aperture to f/1.9 and don't move the meter drum inside the body afterwards. Watch for the dished shim washers for the front plate mounting screws, there will be either eight or twelve in total. Make sure you lift the front plate off carefully to avoid lifting the meter cord drum out of the body. The loose screws are probably obvious once you have the plate off the camera.... and as they often say in the repair manuals, for reassembly just reverse the above steps . Contact me directly if you get stuck.
Regards, Chris [email protected]

Dave

Posted on Saturday, June 03, 2006 - 06:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks, thats just what I was looking for, although I was hoping it would be something simpler, I'll let you know how it turns out, alhtough I think I will be tempted to leave it for a little while, as it didn't show up as a focusing problem in the roll of film I ran through it.

Dave

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration