Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica Electro 35 GSN questions Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Yashica Electro 35 GSN questions « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Joshua

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, June 04, 2006 - 05:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have acquired a Yashica Electro 35 gsn with the auxilary lens set but without the auxilary rangefinder. Is the auxilary rangefinder critical or not? Can I get along without it?

The camera came with a soft leather case but it seems to fit really tight around the camera,like it hasn't been used in a long time. Should I be worried about the case putting too much pressure on the lens barrel, advance lever, etc?

Does anyone have any experience cannibalizing other lenses for use with the Yashica Electro?

Can anyone suggest good filters for a Yashica Electro?

John

Posted on Sunday, June 04, 2006 - 10:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The aux finder gives you frame limes for the wide and tele lens. To be honest they are a pain to use. As you have to focus the re-adjust from the scale on the lens. There is a Helios finder avaible from the UK made by what apears to be the same tooling. It has 3 frame lines unlike the original 2. I don't use a case with my GTN. What do yu mean by "cannibalizing other lenses for use with the Yashica Electro"? The only filter I use is a UV if you use a PL you have to comp setting as it dosen't meter throught the Lens

Gary

Posted on Sunday, June 04, 2006 - 11:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Electro 35-GSN (1973-75) was one of the later Electro 35 series. Ones I have seen were made in Hong Kong. Yashica also sold the camera in kit form with the 2 auxiliary lenses, finder, tripod, case, etc. Not surprising that some of the bits & pieces get separated after 30 years or so. If you have the manual (Internet download via search engine) you will find data on the rather odd focal lengths for those 2 lenses (58.8mm & 37.7mm). If you need the finder, they may show up on eBay occasionally and, once in awhile a kit camera shows up too (usually for not much money). As mentioned such lenses are a hassle compared to a similar 35mm camera that offers fully interchangeable lenses. The later Electro 35 series had 'Color Yashinon' lens that presumably has better coating. My experience is the Color Yashinon lens cells will not interchange with the earlier Yashinon lens (if that is what you are asking). Several companies made after market auxiliary lenses for certain 35mm rangefinder cameras. Bower was one that happens to fit my Canonet. I only figured that out after fitting the Bower lenses to various brand & model cameras. If your GSN works with a makeshift 6 volt battery then count your blessings. The Electro 35 apparently a very good reputation for optical quality. Much has been written about them on the Internet. These were made in huge quantities. Hope this helps!

Winfried

Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 05:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"My experience is the Color Yashinon lens cells will not interchange with the earlier Yashinon lens (if that is what you are asking)."

You cannot swap single lens groups, but you can swap the front and rear lens group together from a Color-Yashinon lens barrel to a plain Yashinon lens barrel. The focussing (and rangefinder) might need minor re-adjustment.

Gary

Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 12:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Winfried, Thanks for that information on the Color Yashinon lens swap!

Joshua

Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 08:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, that's all helpful. But I have another question now. I'm still in the stages of cleaning, restoring seals, etc. and I've noticed that the lens has some kind of tiny orange-ish speckles. I can only see them if you shine a light directly on the lens and they don't seem to be on the outside. That's not normal is it?

Gary

Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 10:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Condition you describe may not be normal but may not be unusual either. The front and / or rear lens cells should spin out as a unit for relatively easy exposed surface cleaning access. If the lens specks (?) are still there after careful & proper cleaning I'd probably not be concerned with them. Some coatings are less than perfect especially after many years. Inner or rear of lens coating may be etched slightly but that's just a guess. I really doubt the optical quality will be affected. However, when there is active fungus or haze between the elements then one may want to remove individual elements for a more thorough cleaning.

Joshua

Posted on Friday, June 09, 2006 - 02:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another question! Does anyone have expereince with the Auto-Up lens? I saw it mentioned in the GSN instruction manual and I was curious. Is it worth trying to track one down or not?

Winfried

Posted on Saturday, June 10, 2006 - 04:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have the Auto-Up lens but I have never used it. A french guy has written some experiences with the Auto-Up on his website but I do not have the URL anymore. It seems a bit difficult to handle but gives acceptable results. As all single-lens close up lenses, it will degrade image quality so you should stop down as far as possible.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration