Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Vintage Kodak 35 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Vintage Kodak 35 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Harold Matolka

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, June 04, 2006 - 08:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm looking at a vintage Kodak 35 in excellent condition. It focuses just fine, glass is clear, figured out how to set F-stops and shutter speeds, but I can't figure out how to fire the shutter. Is there a cocking lever somewhere in the front of the camera, or can I remove the back, turn the sprocket wheels as if it had film in it; will this cock the shutter? I know these things aren't the prettiest 35s ever made, but this one appears to be in very nice condition along with the case. Thanks, Harlee

Gary

Posted on Sunday, June 04, 2006 - 11:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I believe you will need to have film in the camera; otherwise, to dry fire the shutter: remove back and spin the film sprocket with your fingers to manually cock the shutter. There should be some downloads on the Internet for the similar Kodak 35 or similar model with rangefinder. You might also search Internet for sites that describe Kodak 35 & 35 RF in detail. Anastigmat Special lens was initially the best option (prior to coated lenses) with its 4 elements. Kodak 35 RF also had the similar but coated (Lumenized) 4 element Anastar lens from about 1946. Kodak 35 was apparently made from 1938 until 1948 minus a few war years(?). I should think the Kodak 35 will have coated lenses from at least 1946. I'm sure others in this forum will correct me if I have provided any incorrect information.

Mark Pearce

Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 04:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What Gary says is correct: the shutter is cocked by the film traveling over the sprockets. It's very easy to tear modern film if the cocking system isn't working very well, so beware.
You might find this link useful, as the film wind and shutter cocking is the same with both cameras.
http://daniel.mitchell.name/cameras/kodak35/kodak35.html
(owner of a Kodak 35RF)

dave

Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 03:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You have to press the button by the wind knob before you can advance the film and it has to have film in it.take the back off as suggested ,press the button (and immediately release it) and spin the sprocket to charge the shutter.

bart

Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 08:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Depends on the camera. If it's a Kodak Signet, there's both a shutter cocking lever on the left side of the lens that must be cocked and a tiny release switch on the bottom front of the camera that must be flicked to the right before the shutter can be dry-fired. (Normally the release switch is set by advancing the film.)

If it's a Retina -- sorry, can't help you.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration