Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon EM screws Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Nikon EM screws « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alexander Ranstam

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 03:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi

I am re-foaming my Nikon EM. To do this i will have to remove the mirror damper plate. This wouldnt be a big deal, if it werent for that the screws are tough as !"#!¤#(/& to get loos. The same goes for the screws that holds the bajonett coupling(i need to get behind it to fix the carbon-strip(?) that indicates what f:stop is used.(this because there is a glitch in the lightmeter when i change aperature).

Anyone know if the screws are glued into place by nikon? is there a way to get them loos?

Thanx //Alex

Haig Hovaness

Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 08:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A drop of fine oil should help. Let it soak in for an hour, then try again. Make sure that your screwdriver fits well and apply pressure as you turn it. If that doesn't do it, small amounts of solvent and careful application of heat from a fine-tipped soldering iron may work. Proceed cautiously or you may ruin the camera.

Stuart Willis

Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 09:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One often finds that some assembly screws have been touched with shellac but I am not aware that Nikon did that on the assembly which you mention. The most probably cause is galvanic corrosion since the screws are steel and the female thread is aluminium.

Try first intermittent microdots of acetone on the stubborn screws. Leave overnight and then try again with a perfectly fitting screwdriver - using lots of push-pressure.
If that doesn't release the screws - then apply the tip of a largish soldering iron at full heat (has to be largish because heat from a fine-tipped instrument iron will immediately sink.

When the screw has cooled - the corrosive seal will have broken and the screw should turn (if you are lucky).

Hope this helps

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration