Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus OM-1 - battery alternative Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Olympus OM-1 - battery alternative « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

BeagleGal

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 09:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have the above camera and would like to use it for my trip to Cuba this week, however having read some of the postings here and on other websites, I realize that the mercury batteries are no more and mine used the Varta V625PX - I have not used this camera in years and would love to take it with me. I live in Toronto, Canada - are mercury batteries banned there as well or only in the States? If they are banned here as well, what other battery could I use for it?

Much appreciated!!

ken

Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 10:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi BeagleGal

Mercury batteries are banned in most western countries now. There are a number of alternatives, but I won't repeat the information that is here on a link within this site.

https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/mercurybattery.html

Given the amount of time you have, you are probably best going with the Wien cell option.

OM1! Brilliant camera! I have had one for over 30 years. I still have a mercury battery in mine that will need replacing at some point as well.

Have a great trip!

Ken

BeagleGal

Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 10:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Ken for your help.

The Wien cell - could I get that at any camera store or a store in general like Zellers or Walmart?

I havent used this camera in over 10 years. And actually, this camera belonged once to a girl my estranged hubby was sorta 'seeing' and he had borrowed it and she never ended up coming for it. Finder keepers losers weepers!

Thanks again!

BeagleGal

ken

Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 10:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BeagleGal

I would presume so, but I am in England and don't know the shops.

Maybe when someone Stateside is on-line they will be able to give you more info.

The Wien cell won't last as long as the old mercury cell did. The mercury cell in my OM1 is about 12 - 15 years old! I believe the Wien cells will last a few months to a year. It depends on the heat and humidity. the Wien cell needs air to work, so you have to remove a protective covering before you use it. Once open to the air the chemical reactions continue even if you don't use the camera!

Interesting way to have obtained the camera:-) As I mentioned I have had my OM1 for over 30 years. I bought it new in 1974. I obtained an OM2 with a defect a year ago by pure chance. I was in a camera shop with my son and someone came to fetch their OM2 that had been away for a repair estimate for the exposure meter. It was going to be too costly and the man said he'd leave it there. I offered to buy it off him so that I could have it for spares. His wife then said I could have it in exchange for a donation to a children's charity. Deal done! It turns out the OM2 works well in most modes. I just have to be aware of the limitations of the fault.

Ken

rick

Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 11:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You won't find a Wein cell at WalMart. However, what you WILL find (at the "Pharmacy" counter) is a package of size 675 Zinc/Air hearing aid batteries. These are the same battery that is used in the Wein cell, but you get the whole pack of 8 or so for the price of one Wein cell.

There are other things you can do, but this is cheap, easy, available and accurate. Look here for more details:
http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-111.html

Greg

Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 09:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

An unsolicited testimonial -- I used Dr. Oleson's solution and it works! And saves you money ... 'nuff said.

ken

Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 02:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick

Thanks for the info on the hearing aid batteries. I had heard that they could be used but as I haven't had to buy them yet I wasn't aware of the price difference.

Ken

BeagleGal

Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 10:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ken:

I know! And well, I may have lost a marriage (not to that girl - this story is just too long and not at all related to vintage cameras) but I did gain a really cool camera!! Gotta look on the bright side, I guess...

I can't believe that your battery has lasted you that long! I wonder if mine still works then if mercury batteries do last a very long time. To be honest, I am not even sure why I assumed that the battery was dead.. Hmm... I know - I assumed it was dead because when I last tried the camera I had forgotten to switch it to 'off' and when I wanted to use it, I think close to a year later, it wasnt doing anything. So I have just answered my own question... :)

Rick Oleson:

Ok, I can try that method out. Anything to save me el dinero. So I could go to any hardware store like Home Depot or Canadian tire and get this insulated cable wire thingy?

Thanks!

rick

Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 09:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I get mine at WalMart, in the auto section. you can do it in the same trip as the batteries....

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration