Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica Mat Access to focussing mecha... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Yashica Mat Access to focussing mechanism « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ron

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 03:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi
My Yashica Mat doesn't focus correctly. The lens panel does not move out evenly and gets stuck. I opened the side where the focussing wheel is, and found that the axis that is connected to the focussing wheel is not driving the focussing cams right. It could be that this is because I took it apart. Anyway, I could not get the axis completely up so that both cams were held, so I wanted to see the other side.
And that is where my problem is: the whole transport mechanism is sitting in front of the focussing mechanism. Question: how do I get it off? I have the panel off, the crank is removed, but the main shaft is still on. Is it this that is preventing the rest to get off? Removing the four screws that hold the panel with several gears was not enough.
I have been looking at some 124G exploded views, and they are quite close to the standard Mat, but still I can't see what to do.

Thanks,
Ron

Ed

Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 05:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You should able to remove the wind mechanism as a unit. There are 4-5 screws and it will lift off. Look at both side of the front rack focusing mech.
There are two spring loaded plungers that tension the rack mech. to the focus cam--on each side. These are adjustable. This work is best done with the front panel removed as well, so you can see what is happening when you focus.

Ron

Posted on Friday, June 09, 2006 - 05:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for that. I was really about to get the wind mechanism off. With this information I could see that there was a last screw hidden under a lever, and then I could take the whole thing off. I still had to remove some other items, but once the plate with the wind wheel was off, I could see the cams of the focussing mechanism. They are completely off, so no wonder it is not working.

But now ofcourse the release button and the winding mechanism are not coupled anymore, and I am worried about getting it back together. I don't seem to be able to cock the shutter, or perhaps it is cocked, and I can't release it. I could do it before, but must have tripped something. Any information on that? Is it worth to get the front panel off for this so I can see how the cocking works? I think I can manage the focussing mechanism without the front panel off. I have both side panels off so I can see both sets of cams.

Regards
Ron

Wenbiao Liang

Posted on Friday, June 09, 2006 - 03:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ron,
I think you need to take the front panel off, there is a linkage from the "winding" subsystem to the shutter cocking arm.

It is very easy to take it off, just 4 screws for the face panel, then 5 screws for the panel itself.

BTW, I hate the leather on the YashicaMAT, it breaks into pieces, I mean, like being shredded... :)

Ron

Posted on Friday, June 09, 2006 - 03:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well that is precisely the reason why I don't want to take yet another panel off ;) The leather of the side panel where the focus knob is, went off pretty neat. I only took it off as far as to get down to the screws. But I ruined the leather of the side panel with the winding crank. I was basing myself on a 124G drawing and it seems the Mat has one more screw on that side, sitting far inwards, meaning I had to remove more leather.
I am looking for a replacement of the leather. Either I buy a set on cameraleather.com, or I'll buy some leather in a local store (if they have it thin enough) and try to cut it myself.
The shutter cocking arm is sticking out. I could move it with my finger and cock the shutter. Very happy about that: I didn't break the shutter with all my attempts to get the winding mechanism off.
But first I'll try to get the focussing to work. Then I'll get back to the winding/cocking mechanism. Thanks for your input: I really appreciate the help I get on this forum as I was about to give up on it and remain frustrated the rest of my days ;)

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration