Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta XE/XE-7 stopped-down metering... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Minolta XE/XE-7 stopped-down metering only. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Scott DeSelle

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 06:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Minolta XE that is not meter-coupling. The meter is not operating in either Automatic mode or Match-Needle mode, but works when the lens is stopped down.
I recently picked up this body, and a parts body. I have yet to process the first roll of film I've exposed, and have not taken the camera in to my local repair shop.
I'm wondering if this is likely a mechanical problem or electronic problem.
Any ideas?

Henry

Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 08:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the shutter speeds changing in auto and manual?

Off the top of my head--since pulling the stopdown lever brings the meter to life and the ASA string is attached to the mechanism, I'd start by cleaning the ASA wipers.

Henry

Scott DeSelle

Posted on Friday, June 09, 2006 - 12:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Henry,
Thanks for your response.
The shutter does seem to be operating at all speeds - certainly in manual. I'll have to check further about auto mode.
The seller mentioned that he had also been told that the fix was with the ASA selector.
I'm willing to pick up a repair guide and have a go at this, though I have no real experience with repair yet. What am I in for?
Can I assume one of the repair guides readily available on ebay, will point me in the right direction dealing with the ASA wipers?

Henry

Posted on Friday, June 09, 2006 - 04:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You don't need to spend the money for a manual. It isn't that hard to get to. If it isn't the ASA, then you can throw money at it.

On an XE the top cover is actually three pieces: center and both ends. Any one of the three can be removed separately. If you email me personally I can throw a few jpg's and cut and pastes your way. I was going to write an article on opening XE/R3's but got distracted...

Henry

Kelly

Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 03:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Henry,
What are you using to clean the Av and Sv variable resistors? By the way, it's the diaphram ring for MC (meter coupling) that is connected to the Av Vr. Of course you have to be using a lens with the MC tab, and the diaphram ring and string must be moving freely. If the ring and Av Vr are moving freely than the two variable resistors should be cleaned, though I don't the compositon the these VRs. and what works best without causing them to break down. Remember, they are very old.
Kelly

Henry

Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 06:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use Ronsonol. But any residue free cleaner will probably work.

Henry

Kelly

Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 12:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Henry,
In consumer electronics repair we use Caig Labs D5 or LPS-1 for cleaning switches and controls, but I have no idea how the pots in these old XEs will recact to those chemicals. LPS-1 contains a type of naphtha.
Kelly

Henry

Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 01:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've used LPS-1 (or sumpthin that sounds like it) at a shop I used to work at. It worked well.

Henry

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration