Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Exakta VX IIA Mirror Sticking Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Exakta VX IIA Mirror Sticking « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Paul Elliott

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, June 09, 2006 - 07:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have just gotten an Exakta VXIIA which has a mirror problem. When the shutter is released, the mirror flys up partially but then two pins at the back of the mirror chamber at the top rear of the mirror don't allow it to move up farther. When looking into the mirror chamber, the pin at the left is very stuck-the pin on the right will move with a little encouragement. What could be the problem? Thanks.

rick

Posted on Friday, June 09, 2006 - 10:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i don't remember the details of which is which, but one of those little buggers is what trips the shutter when the mirror reaches the top. i'm guessing that you've got something jammed in the shutter mechanism that's blocking the mirror. the entire shutter comes out of the chassis upwards, after which you have excellent access to all of the requisite doodads

Tony Duell

Posted on Friday, June 09, 2006 - 11:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's been some time since I've been inside an Exakta, but I think one of those pins, probably the one on the left side looking into the lens mount is intended to prevent the mirror rising if the self-timer is in use. When you press the shutter release, the mirror rises almost all the well, held up on this pin, then the self timer runs off, then the mirror is released the whole way, it hits the other pin and trips the shutter.

The self timer/slow speed mechanism is on that side of the camera. You will have to pull the shutter assembly to have a look.

Pulling the shutter is not totally trivial on this camera. Start by winding it, then run the winding lever about half way to hold its return spring under tension. Remove the screw and pin-face nut on top of the winding lever, take off the lever and counter dial. Undo the screw in the fast-speed dial, remove the spring and that knob. A couple of screws hold the top plate on on that side

On the other side, wind the slow-speed mechanism a little too (it won't run back if the shutter is wound), then undo the screw and pin-face nut on the slow speed dial and remove the parts there (note how the pin on the knob engages. Again a couple of screws and take off the cover that side.

Remove the lens mount (4 screws) and the front bezel. If possible unscrew the 2 flash sockets that don't have an insulating washer under them (a pocket watch stem key is the tool to use here if you can find one!). Open/remove the camera back, take out the take-up spool, and remove the little cover plate around the takeup spindle inside. You'll now see a pinion on a spring-loaded spindle (pushed down by the rewind-release button) that engages with the sprocket. Undo the screw, holding the top end of the spindle with another screwdriver, and don't let it fly out. Then remove the screws holding the mechanism in the body and pull it out. The sprocket and shutter release button are now loose, don't loose them.

The flash sync contact assembly is held to the side of the mirror cage by 2 screws. Take it off, it obstructs the view of some of the parts.

rick

Posted on Friday, June 09, 2006 - 02:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i have sketches for the disassembly if you'd like them

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration