Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax rewind knobs Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Pentax rewind knobs « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mike

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 02:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone know the difference between the rewind knobs on Pentax slr's? I'm after one for an MV, but mistakenly bought one for an MV-1. My MV knob is male, but the MV-1 replacement is female. So would any others fit? K1000? ME etc.?

rick

Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 04:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The K1000 rewind knob has a female 3MM thread. I fitted one to my Kiev rangefinder (whose knob has a male 3MM thread) by cutting off an appropriate length of a 3MM screw to couple the knob to the shaft. You might try that.

Or, I have a perfectly good Kiev 4AM rewind knob with a 3MM diameter male shaft.... I'll be happy to mail it to you.

RL

Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 04:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have an ME shaft, that as far as I can see is identical to the MV except for the male thread.
If you line the little bevel up with the spring it goes in like it belongs in a MV. You do not even need to take the top off.
If you want it you can email me your mailing adress.

Mike

Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 03:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick, RL, I'd like to thank you both for your genorosity. I dug up an old Nikon knob from my parts bin, and after filing away my Pentax bolt somewhat, got it to fit through the Nikon knob and locate on the Pentax shaft. Just wish I'd done this first before ordering up the Pentax replacement. I'm still not sure I've been sent the right part; I've been told the MV and MV-1 knobs are identical, so don't know why I've been sent a female knob. Got it from www.huroncamera.com, anyone had any dealings with them? Sent them an email yesterday, still waiting for a reply.

rick

Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 05:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Since my K1000 parts camera had a female knob, I'd guess that they either sent you the MV1 knob or they are possibly unaware that there are different types of knobs within the K-M series of cameras. I would have thought they'd all be alike.

RL

Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 12:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The ME and ME super knobs are made of steel with female thread.
The MV knob is plastic with a seperate screw to attach it to the shaft. It looks like huron made a mistake.
In any case you do not want another MV knob as it is very flimsy and prone to breakage, you are much better of with a steel knob.

Mike

Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 06:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hopefully the Nikon replacement will stand up to a few years of use. Agree that the MV knob is plasticky. Think I've definitely got the wrong part from Huron but they still haven't replied. I'll just post it back to them and ask for a refund. Thanks again for all the help and info.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration