Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon AE-1 Battery Cover Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Canon AE-1 Battery Cover « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gerard Curley

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 05:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a cracked battery cover on my AE-1 and I have another "parts" camera. Anyone have any advice about how to remove the battery door and replace it? Gerard

anonymous

Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 09:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll quote from Thomas Tomosy for you (I highly recommend buying his books, by the way, and hope that may make up for this little copyright indiscretion... this is from Camera Maintenance & Repair, Book 1):

"Open the cover and grab the hinge shaft with narrow pliers. Rotating the shaft as far as possible, push it up toward the top of the camera. Once the lower end of the shaft has cleared the hole in the body, bend the shaft aside slightly, just enough to be able to pull the cover off. Don't lose the spring. Replace the new cover in the reverse order (don't forget the spring)."

Doug Wilson

Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 09:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

With the camera inverted, grip the hinge pin with a pair of small diagonal cutters. Strike the dykes at their pivot point with hammer/mallet to drift out the pin. Reverse procedure to reseat pin. However, it is much easier to completely seat pin with top of camera removed. Factory put a daub of diabond (or some such) cement on top of pin to secure it. If you decide to remove the top, clean eyepiece glass and pentaprism while you're in there!

Gerard Curley

Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 10:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Doug and anon. Followed your instructions and it worked a charm. I think I might buy that book. Gerard

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration