Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canonet GIII QL17 Shutter Speed Stuck Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Canonet GIII QL17 Shutter Speed Stuck « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Will

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 06:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The shutter on my GIII QL17 snaps crisply since I cleaned it with naptha, and I took a roll of nice photos with it. The problem is that after it has sat for a while (few hours), the shutter likes to fire at 1/500 even when set to slower speeds (including B). I'm judging this by ear, but the difference between 1/500 and 1/60 or slower is quite noticeable. Usually, if I spin the shutter speed dial to 500 and then back to a slower speed it will fire at the slower speed. Today I had to snap the shutter about 50 times on different speeds before it started firing at anything slower than 1/500. I've not read about this problem, and was hoping someone might have a suggestion of how to fix. Thanks!

Reiner

Posted on Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 04:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The shutter speed of 1/500 s is not delayed. All other speeds are delayed or more exactly divided by the escapement. The only reason for your problem I can imagine is that the escapement does not engage at all. A very careful cleaning of the shutter should be the solution. Perhaps it has to be repeated several times. Let is dry some days before reassembling. In hard cases a shutter disassembly and cleaning of the shutter parts is advised.

Will

Posted on Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 03:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Reiner. I'll give cleaning another try.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration