Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta Himatic 7s Rangefinder adjust... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Minolta Himatic 7s Rangefinder adjustment « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Scott

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 01:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone here have experience adjusting the rangefinder mechanism on a Hi-matic 7s? I have a camera that is about three feet off. I know how to remove the top cover but beyond that am lost to this procedure. If someone could tell me which screws are used to make the adjustments for horizontal and vertical correction I would greatly appreciate it. I would also like to know the best way to go about setting this correclty. Focus to infinity?? or some other increment??

WernerJB

Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 06:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Scott, I had decided not to post here any longer because of recent developments happening in this forum (like people purposefully using fake e-mail addresses, etc.), which I despise a lot.

But I take special interest in your problem, because I once had the same one to solve, so here we go:
the RF array in the old Hi-Matics is somewhat different from other designs, there are no mirrors moving. But when setting the lens to a certain distance, the RF front glass, which is in fact a lens, moves accordingly, that is why the whole mechanism is behind the viewfinder glass. If you want to adjust the rangefinder, vertical adjustment usually is the first step. This is done by carefully giving the mirror next to the exposure meter the right angle: the slothead screw in the middle is for adjustment, the other one is for fastening. Horizontal alignment is done by turning that one slothead screw that sits in the long hole right from the semi-silvered mirror (which creates the RF image), be careful, as it is not a real screw, but, when turned, it only eccentrically moves the front glass lens in the desired position, and when turned too often can become too loose; the other one is for fixation. I would recommend to leave all the other screws untouched, should you want to go deeper: the whole array is held in place by three screws: right from the mirror, left from the round viewfinder and the biggest one (blackened head) between the RF window & mirror.
Adjustment is usually done at infinity.
If properly cleaned and adjusted the viewfinder and RF in this camera is superbly brilliant and clear, even in bright or dim light!
Good luck!

Russ

Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 10:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Werner

I'm confused. Why would someone use a fake E-mail address? For what purpose?

Russ

WernerJB

Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 09:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Russ, it is hard to speculate about the brain children of those savants, but maybe those people either do not want to unveil what they consider their privacy or they prefer acting the fool anonymously.
Without entering an e-mail address new contributions to the forum are usually not accepted, so those people fill in the gap using fantasy or fake addresses. If you try sending those brainiacs a message the mail keeps coming back and cannot be delivered. (Try sending me a mail using the adress used above and you can experience that yourself, W.)

WernerJB

Posted on Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 09:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Russ, it's me again, maybe you can understand what I had in mind and why I am worried about fake addresses when you follow the current spamming of the forum with rubbish!
You were asking about those people's purposes. Maybe it is just sheer madness that drives them!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration