Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Original Canonet-stuck shutter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Original Canonet-stuck shutter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Neil

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 03:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have two original canonets (bottom wind, no battery). Both have stuck shutters- the electronics work well but the shutters don't fire.
There is quite a lot of information on stripping later models but I can't find anything on these early ones.

I presume I get to the shutter from the front and rear lens mounts. Does anyone know the stripping sequence.

Thanks

Neil
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Simon

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 06:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi neil you need to remove the front filter ring which holds the plastic selinium cell cover this just screws out around the inside of the filter threads there should be 2 smal cut outs gently try to turn hopefully it will screw out , the plastic cell cover will then just fall out the light cell is a steel ring with wires soldered just carefully lift out and let it hang to one side the lens housing can be gripped and screwed out by hand after that you can clean the shutter with rozonol lighter fluid on cotton buds till the shutter is free just let the shutter dry and keep winding and tripping till you are satisfied it is working it may take a while as you only need to use a small amount of rozonol at a time it wont hurt anything but you dont want to soak the entire shutter as it will need time to dry replace the lens make sure it is dust free and replace everything else hope this helps email me if you need anymore help as i have fixed quite a number of these camera'sover the past few years thanks simon

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration