Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Om2n interminnent mirror lock-up Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Om2n interminnent mirror lock-up « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Berk Sirman

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 03:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi

My Olympus Om2n's mirror locked up twice during the 10 rolls of film I put through it since I got the camera. (The first 4 rolls I already got back from the lab, and the camera works fine)

First time it returned after a second or so, so I thought it was because of deteriorating mirror foam. Today it locked up again and I had to put the mode selector in "reset" to return the mirror. The camera continued to function normally after this.

I am wondering whether this is a mechanical fault (weak spring) or a disconnect in the circuit. The battery check lights up bright but it is the batteries that came with the camera, so I do not know how old they are. I have not cleaned the battery chamber, or any other contacts.

Any places to look for possible reasons? Any thing I should be weary of while cleaning the battery chamber?

I am planning to have the camera CLA'd at the end of the summer, but it'd be nice if I could use it till then.

Berk

rick

Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 08:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you have alkaline batteries in it? The OM2 will operate on alkalines but their voltage is unstable and the camera has a low-voltage cutoff built into it that will shut it down if the battery voltage drops below a set point. I would try a fresh pair of silver cells before jumping to any conclusions.

Berk Sirman

Posted on Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 06:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I checked, and there are silver cells in the camera, and according to the battery check, they are in good shape. Any other ideas?

I will be putting fresh batteries in tomorrow in either case.

Thanks, Berk

rick oleson

Posted on Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 07:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

none at the moment.....

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration