Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon FE-2 Broken Ai tab Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Nikon FE-2 Broken Ai tab « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

James Lonergan

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 12:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have an FE-2 with a broken ai index tab. Can This ring be replaced easily or glued onto or otherwise fixed to function? Do I remove the lens mount? and what may I expect to pop out if I do? Yes I broke it by using non ai lenses! Thanks.

rick

Posted on Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 09:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The ring is not hard to replace if you have another one. Remove the lens mount, there's a loose spring plate behind the bayonet and then a sort of brass bearing ring inside the AI ring (assuming it's the same as the one in the FM2, which seems like a good bet). There is a cord attached to the AI ring, I think it's just a knot on the end that slips into a little slot in the ring. On reassembly be careful that the brass ring seats correctly into the back of the lens mount or the whole thing will jam up.

James Lonergan

Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 12:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Rick. I also wonder if the ring from an FM which I do not use could replace it? That would give me a flip back tab along with the TTL flash of the FE-2! Anything is better than a broken index tab.

Again Thanks, Jim

John

Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 07:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HI, James
The ring has to be replaced. it is not the same as an FM or FM2.
The top and the front bezel have to be removed.
I have repaired these many times. see my web site for repair information.
www.nikon-camera-repair.com
John

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration