Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

OM2n viewfinder meter needle adjustment Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » OM2n viewfinder meter needle adjustment « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Helen

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 04:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Apologies if this has been asked lots of times before, but I couldn't quite find what I was looking for.

I have a couple of OM-2n bodies on which the meter needle in the finder is reading slightly under 2 and and just under 3 stops slow, respectively. The 2-stop camera has other cosmetic faults so I decided to experiment and I think I found the adjuster, but want to be sure. The 3-stop error camera is much nicer, so I'm leaving it alone!

Having removed the top plate, I turned a small brass screw mounted on the end of a lever/cam which sits near the periphery of the base of the ASA/exposure compensation dial drum, at about 7 o'clock orientation to it, when viewed from the back of the camera. The lever is mounted on a larger, greyer screw near the back edge of the camera, whilst the one I adjusted (on the tip of this lever) is forward of that pivot screw, nearer the pentaprism.

Is this the right thing to adjust? It only seems to have a range of about 1 stop though, in moving the needle upwards. That was enough for the first camera. I want to be sure I wasn't adjusting any aspect of the auto metering at the same time (I'd hope not, but would like reassurance!).

Secondly, on reassembling the camera, I noticed that the junction between the upper edges of the black enamelled mirror box exterior, where they meet the front of the top plate, were previously lined with black foam to fill the tiny gap, which of course crumbled away. I can replace this, but noticed that on the shutter release side, through the gap I could just see a fine, bright-blue clad wire which wraps around the innards just there, from the ASA dial around the front of the pentaprism. No matter what I did, I could still see it when reassembled and am slightly concerned that it could be being pinched - it's hard to tell, and the wire could well normally be visible without the foam on top, being such a bright colour. It seems impossible to tuck it in further before reassembly. Anybody know how vulnerable it is to being pinched?

Thanks very much,

Helen

rick

Posted on Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 06:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You are adjusting the right thing for the viewfinder display, and it has no effect on the autoexposure system which is totally separate including its own light cells and everything.

This is the FINE adjustment. The COARSE adjustment is done by loosening 3 lock screws and adjusting the position of a pulley, which is located UNDER the meter movement. Thankfully I have not had to do that, which means that I can't give you specifics about how to get to the little bugger.... but since it was made to be an adjustment point presumably it can be done.

I'm not comfortable with the idea of a wire being visible from outside when the camera is assembled... I don't see any gaps that would permit that in my OM2N. A pinched wire is one of the less pleasant modes of failure, since it can wait for some time to fail on you when you most need the camera and have forgotten how you disassembled it. I would go back and take another look at that.....

Helen

Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 03:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Rick! Glad to know I was adjusting the correct thing and not having an effect on the auto exposure aspect.

Regarding the wire, I'd planned to have another look at the weekend, with more time available and better light, and will certainly do so. I am hopeful that the wire's not actually pinched - I noticed on examining the camera closely (and other OM-2n's) that the tiny vertical gap through which I can see the wire is normally packed with black foam, which crumbled away when the top plate came off. It's about 1mm wide, on each side of the black enamelled mirror box housing sides, where they meet the front of the top plate. I can replace the foam once I'm certain the wire is OK from another look inside.

Helen

Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 04:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Rick! Glad to know I was adjusting the correct thing and not having an effect on the auto exposure aspect.

Regarding the wire, I'd planned to have another look at the weekend, with more time available and better light, and will certainly do so. I am hopeful that the wire's not actually pinched - I noticed on examining the camera closely (and other OM-2n's) that the tiny vertical gap through which I can see the wire is normally packed with black foam, which crumbled away when the top plate came off. It's about 1mm wide, on each side of the black enamelled mirror box housing sides, where they meet the front of the top plate. I can replace the foam once I'm certain the wire is OK from another look inside.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration