Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon AE-1 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Canon AE-1 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Charles

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 03:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Canon AE-1. Sometimes when I advance the film, it trips the shutter. I can avoid this by advancing the film very slowly. Is this an easy or difficult repair?

Steve Sweringen

Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 08:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Charles, It is not difficult to correct the problem with your Canon AE-1. It requires removing the base plate and cleaning the release magnet next to the winder coupling contacts. However, this magnet being dirty is an indication of the camera needing an overhaul. I am a camera repairman and specialize in the repair of Canon 35mm cameras and lenses. If you have need of my services, please contact me.

Steve
Camera Clinic
50 Freeport Blvd #24
Sparks, NV 89431

Stuart Willis

Posted on Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 04:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Remove the baseplate.
See the solenoid.
Be super careful not to break any fine hair copper wire.
With magnet open, insert a sliver of photocopy paper then close the magnet. Pull the paper sliver out.

Do this a half dozen times.
The solenoid magnet surfaces should now be clean.
Test and repeat process if necessary.

Ed

Posted on Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 12:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A round tooth pick dipped in isopropyl alcohol works good.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration