Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Chinon CE-4 shutter speed dial removal Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Chinon CE-4 shutter speed dial removal « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

George Welcher

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 04:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I picked up a Chinon CE-4 in bad shape - shutter doesn't fire, mirror and winder flopping loosely. It came bundled with a decent Pentax lens so I'm not unhappy with the deal. Probably not worth the bother, but I thought I'd poke around to see what's what inside, but can't figure out how to get the shutter speed dial off in preparation for removing the top plate. Did a search of the archives, but no joy.

Anyone disassembled one of these?

Don

Posted on Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 09:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wind lever --2 screws underneath. Spd dial -- pry off the # plate & unscrew the ctr.nut. Don't force the dial against the stop as it could break the stop.
Don

Bob

Posted on Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 11:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also see http://ludens.cl/photo/equip/equip.html

George

Posted on Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 05:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks guys. Don, I got the dial off but the top plate remains attached to the body. Are there screws under the hot shoe? I'll take a look.

Don

Posted on Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 05:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pry off the nameplate & remove the 2 screws under it.

George

Posted on Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 07:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Don. Already found them. The last thing I needed to do to get the top off was unscrew the collar around the film speed dial release button, beside the rewind knob. Thanks for all your help.

George

Posted on Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 08:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For the benefit of future generations of tinkereres who might search the archives, here is a summary of the Chinon ME-4 top plate removal process, thanks to Don's advice and my own stubborness:
1. Unscrew the rewind knob in the usual way.
2. Unscrew the collar at the centre of the film speed dial and remove it and the dial. Note what ASA the dial is set to first.
3. unscrew the collar around the film speed release button next to the dial.
4. Remove the two screws under the film speed dial.
5. Remove two screws on the advance lever side of the top plate - one above the back hinge, one beside the shutter speed dial.
6. Carefully pry the shutter speed number plate off the shuuter speed dial. It is held on with adhesive. Note the speed it is set to, and make a mark on the edge dial where this setting goes. If you forget, note that the dial stops at 1000.
7. Unscrew the ring at the centre of the shutter speed dial, remove the button, plunger and spring.
8. Turn the camera over, move the film advance lever out from the body, and remove the two screws holding the plastic cover on the lever.
9. Turn the camera right side up, remove the screw at the centre of the advance lever, remove the lever.
10. Pry the name plate off the front of the top plate. This is also held on with adhesive. Remove the two screw underneath.
11. The top should now come off. Note that it is still attached to the body by wires going to the hot shoe.

George

Posted on Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 08:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Note: The above should read "Chinon CE-4"

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration