Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Vitoret DR Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Vitoret DR « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Wayne

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 11:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have inherited my dad's Vitoret DR. It is in excellent cosmetic condition, the light meter needle moves, and the shutter seems to be not sticking. I was about to load a film today, but in checking things out first I noticed that the rangefinder is off quite a bit. It shows about 20 feet when it should be showing infinity, and about 10 feet when it should be showing 20. Also, the vertical is annoyingly off quite a bit. Anyone have any experience or instructions for adjusting or fixing this?
Thanks, Wayne
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

M Currie

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 08:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've had issues with other Voigtlanders which have been dropped. The rangefinder optics consist of several elements glued together, and if they come unglued, the rangefinder is essentially dead. The parts no longer align, and cannot be kept in adjustment. I don't know what the innards of a Vitoret look like, but I suspect that this may be the case here, if the rangefinder is off in two axes at once. I suggest you open up the top of yours, and see if this is the problem. You will see that the rangefinder consists of a block of glass with a piece glued to the right hand side of it. If that side piece is no longer glued on, you're pretty much out of luck, I think. In theory, I suppose it could be reglued, but I don't know how to do it myself and I doubt a Vitoret is sufficiently valuable to undergo the expense of having someone do it.

If the glass is still in one piece, there are adjustments you can make. You'll see a couple of little arms in there, which move with the focus. The arms are in two pieces, held together by a screw, with a triangular slot in the arms. If you loosen a screw, and put a small screwdriver in the slot, you can addjust the arms. I can't remember how the vertical adjustment is done, but those arms will handle the distance.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration