Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta X-7A Film-Advance Lever Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Minolta X-7A Film-Advance Lever « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Monk

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 06:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently acquired a Minolta X-7A and the first time I went to use it, the Film-Advance lever would not go farther than 30 degrees. Therefore, I could not load any film. Is there anything I should try to do or do you know what is wrong? Thanks.

Ron

Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 10:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could be a problem with the film advance mechanism, shutter release magnets, mirror locked up, bad circuit board or capacitor, any number of things. Repair CLA would cost about $135, considerably more than the camera is worth, and parts would have to be cannabalized from another body - working ICs in particular are hard to come by for Minoltas these days. If it were me I'd just buy another camera, this time guaranteed to work and perhaps a little newer, especially if you are getting an electronic model.

Michael Linn

Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 07:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A winding-release problem in this model is frequently the release capacitor which cure is covered extensively on the forum. Just do a search. Very cheap to fix and, if that is not the problem, you have very little invested in the attempt. Other problems may cause this problem which require much more extensive work but, if you have unlimited time and patience, the forum can help with most complicated repairs.

Thomas Plummer

Posted on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - 12:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have repaired this problem several times on Minolta X-7A (X-370) and X-700. Over time lubrication dries up, friction goes up, it gets harder to crank the advance lever. Finally the friction is so great that one of the gears in the advance gear train reacts to the overload, caused by excessive friction, by shifting out of place and leaning hard on the other gears, not allowing them to freewheel back to their reset positions. The bad news is you must disassemble the camera and thoroughly clean and lubricate it, as well as putting the shifted gear back into position. This takes me about 8 hours to do and I have done it about 6 times before. Very labor intensive and you must be a very good technician.

Thad W.

Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 11:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On my X-370 many years ago I had the same trouble. Turned out to be not a mechanical problem, but a bad flex circuit. At that time Minolta still had parts for this model.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration