Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Repair Canon 80-200 f2.8 L zoom lens Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Repair Canon 80-200 f2.8 L zoom lens « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jud Hofmann

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 10:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a beloved Canon 80-200 f2.8 L zoom lens that has lost the focus range switch which is (formerly) mounted on the barrel.

Canon no longer supports this lens, and I am told that parts are no longer available.

This is a very expensive lens to replace, and it's in such good shape that it seems a shame that the loss of a simple plastic part from the lens barrel makes it non-repairable.

Is there any hope for getting this lens repaired? And if so, how do I go about it?

Thanks in advance -

Jud Hofmann

Walter Hansen

Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 05:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Welcome to the world of planned obsolescence. Canon doesn't support a lot of older equipment these days.

If you had another lens for parts comparison purposes, you could try fabricating the part out of fibreglass or filing it out of aluminum. Sometimes you can find another non-operational zoom on ebay and swap parts until you get what you need.

Henry

Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 05:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Although your lens is beyond the scope of this forum, the answer is one we have all had to do...many times.

Figure out what the part looks like and make it.

Failing that, it is time to put it on the shelf.

Henry

Steven Sweringen

Posted on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 07:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jud,

I am a camera repairman and specialize in the repair of Canon 35mm cameras and lenses. I am aware of the difficulty in getting parts for the EF80-200 2.8L lens. I have found another switch from another EF lens that will work. If interested in getting it repaired, please contact me at:

[email protected]
Camera Clinic
50 Freeport Blvd #24
Sparks, NV 89431
775-829-2244

Steve

Jud Hofmann

Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 10:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Folks -

Thanks much for your advice. Steve, I'll give you a call.

Jud Hofmann

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration