Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Konica C35 meter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Konica C35 meter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kitty

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 10:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My C35's light meter overexposes by one or two stops, and never reaches beyond f/8 250 speed no matter how bright the light I aim it at. I can have it fixed professionally (since it has other problems as well), but I was wondering if there is any way I can first tell if the meter can be fixed, or if it really needs replacing. I don't think my local repair guy will be able to find a replacement, so it wouldn't be worthwhile to pay for a CLA only to not be able to use the camera because of the faulty meter, since the thing only has auto.

WernerJB

Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 02:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, what makes you think the meter could be replaced? You local repairman is right, as not only spare parts are no longer available, but also the manufacturer has gone out of business.
Ask yourself if a CLA makes sense if the camera is in a state of irrepair.
It is important to know the "other problems" you mention. The symptom you describe can have numerous reasons.

charlie

Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 04:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Your repairman might be able to find a junk camera with a good meter he could install but you could probably find a working C35 on EBay for less money. I recently bought a C35AF and a C35MF that way. What model is yours?

Kitty

Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 07:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's the C35 auto with a rangefinder. Yes, I was thinking along replacing the photo cell with an old spare. I'm just not sure what photo cells might be compatible with the camera, if I can't find one exactly from the same model. I got this one from ebay for cheap because the seller said the shutter was sticky, but he also said the meter worked. I guess that didn't mean it worked right.:P

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for a spare someone might have, I don't think it will be worth buying another as a spare, since a working one isn't much more expensive. I'm just a little wary of picking anything up from ebay now after this.

WernerJB

Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 09:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kitty, from the above I understand you are not interested in a repair you can do yourself (fixing a C35 is a beginner's project!), you want a snip in working condition instead, good luck with finding one, W.

Howard

Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 09:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Kitty, Just a thought. Perhaps something is physically causing the needle and therefore the needle trap mechanism to stop at f8/250. If you were to try using a slow film, say 50 ASA that top setting would possible work OK. If however the meter is out all the way through the range then of course this technique won't help. I thought it might be worth a try.

Harlee

Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 03:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kitty, Hi, Can you tell me what battery the camera presently has in it? I've used a C35 for years and picked the one I'm presently using for $10, and it's in mint condition. The original battery is supposed to be a 1.35V, which is no longer made, at least in the USA. My meter acted dead until I messed around in the battery chamber trying to get a zinc air 1.4V battery to quit shifting around and now it works just fine and the meter appears to be right on. These truly are great little travel cameras but most likely they aren't worth having a repairman get into it. They can be had at a very reasonable price since nobody really wants them anymore.

Kitty

Posted on Saturday, June 24, 2006 - 09:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Werner, I'm open to repair, but a little wary, esp without a spanner and if I need to replace, not just fix, something. I have been unsuccessfully trying to open the film advance area with a pair of tweezers, hehe.

Howard, I was wondering the same thing, that maybe something is just blocking the needle. But the metering is off, leaning towards overexposure in general, so I'm assuming the photocell is the problem. I think maybe I can just rate the film ASA higher and still get decent results with negative film, will definitely give it a try:)

Harlee, I use zinc oxide hearing aid batteries, too.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration