Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon Rangefinder Wrinkled shutter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Canon Rangefinder Wrinkled shutter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Thomas D. McManus

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 01:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How can a wrinkled shutter for either a Canon P or Canon VT camera be reparied and where? Would it impaire the camera function to still use the camera without repairs? What would the approx. cost be for replacement and repair of the shutters. Tom

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 05:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The answer to your first sentence is that any good repair technician will be able to repair and renew the blinds in these two models. I am sure that people here will be able to recommend a good classic repair person, once they know where you are situated.

The second sentence is more problematic; I have a M2 and a Practisix that both function with slightly creased blinds. However the shutter mechanisms are properly adjusted and lubed and the rubberised fabric is not perished. From the age of your cameras I suspect that the blinds have perished, using the cameras will not be possible due to holes in the blinds. Also the rubber can completely disintegrate and jam everything up.

As for cost; I have no idea, but I would expect to pay around £150/£200 in the UK for a M2, from the people I know.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 05:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On reflection doesn't the P (Populaire) have metal blinds? If so you may be lucky and still have a fully functioning camera. Metal blinds do seem to be that bit more forgiving, of course spares can be more problematic also. Fabric blinds are so easy to replace.

If the wrinkles are not due to film leader or fingers, I would certainly get the 'P' a CLA before continued use. Something is restricting the free movement of the metal blinds.

Mark Pearce

Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 07:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Most of the Canon RFs with the metal shutter blinds will have wrinkles by now. It should not impare function in any way.

Roy Randall.

Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 12:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Tom.
I've got a Canon F1N which also has wrinkled metal blinds and they work just fine. If it's not broke don't fix it!
Roy.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration