Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

My camera went fishing Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » My camera went fishing « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

JennJenn

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 03:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i have a 6.0 olympus master camera and i took it out fishing with me, while I was on the boat it fell in a lil water (on the boat)and it won't work, no power, i'm wondering what I can do, just wait till it dries..anyone know if it'll work again?

M Currie

Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 03:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know what an Olympus 6.0 master is, but I gather the general rule for these things is that the very first thing you should do is remove all batteries and do not try to turn anything on until you have done as much as you can to dry it out. I'd try opening all openable panels, covers, etc. and put it someplace where drying is accelerated (e.g. sunny windowsill, but not oven). Perhaps a hair dryer with little or no heat. But of course it may already be too late, especially if the water was salty - in which case you're almost certainly sunk.

My very brief flirtation with digital cameras ended when I dropped my little P&S into a Vermont winter slush puddle. I immediately removed it, but before I could get it home and rinse it out, the salty water had eaten the circuitry and turned the contacts green.

Obligatory classic camera content, since you have entered a classic camera forum: on the other hand, if you drop a Nikon F or an old Argus in the water, you can probably touch up the rusty parts with a little lighter fluid and use it for another 40 years. As long as your thumbs still work it will always at least have power.

rick

Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 04:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Two points:

1) A wet digital camera is an ex-camera.

2) if the word "power" even comes up with regard to a camera, you're asking in the wrong place.

Richard III

Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 10:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Send it to:

Olympus LTD.
Shinjuku Monolith, 2-3-1 Nishi-Shinjuku,
Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 163-0914

Explain what happened, they'll replace it for free and reimburse your mailing costs.

Roberto Rossi

Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 08:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Really? On the otherhand, somewhat naughty if you are doing a wind-up.

Richard III

Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 09:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A wind-up it 'twere. (And I had to go see the headmaster)

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration