Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax ME Super mirror "bumper" ?... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Pentax ME Super mirror "bumper" ? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Charles

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 12:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've just dusted off my old Pentax ME Super which was working great until I was getting black specks in it. I see now that some sort of rubbery stuff is deteriorating and getting into the camera. It is up top just behind the lens and I'm guessing is some sort of bumper (sound dampener?) for the mirror to strike when it goes up. It should be quite easy to replace but I don't have a clue as to where to find or how to fabricate a replacement. Any ideas? Thanks!

Mike

Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 07:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds like a job for Jon Goodman, aka interslice, which is his ebay id. Go to www.ebay.com and check out item 110003917799.

Roy Randall

Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 12:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Too true! Best kit on the market, and it comes with a good set of instructions at a truly low price. If this is the first mirror bumper you've replaced they can be a bit tricky, but the kit is cheap enough so if you don't get it right first time there's no great loss. While you are at it check the light seals as well, they all seem to rot at about the same rate. The hardest part of the job, I find, is cleaning the old gunk off. Follow Jon's instructions and you should have repaired your first camera!

Henry

Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 02:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jon's seal notes are hosted on this website. Go read a couple of them to see if you think you are up to the task.

Henry

jon goodman

Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 05:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, guys! I do appreciate the kind words. The ME series is one of the re-sealing instruction sets on this site, also (neat camera!). Please look under "Camera Articles" in the orange shaded area to the left. You'll see my instructions which this site has been gracious enough to host.
Best regards,
Jon

Charles

Posted on Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 10:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks! I've replaced the screen on my laptop so I think I can do this I'll probably go ahead and do the seals as well. I'm more nervous about cleaning out the bumper bits that have already gotten on the mirror. I have a cleaning kit that has a bottle of "lens cleaner" with a soft applicator on the end as well as a blower bulb and "lens tissue." Are those the things to use? Would it make more sense just to send the camera in to someone to be cleaned. (I haven't developed the roll yet, but from what I can tell so far, everything else is functioning normally.)

Donnie Strickland

Posted on Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 04:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just get one of Jon's kits and you can't go wrong. If you get stuck you can email him for help. Great guy, all the way.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration