Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Infinity on a Zoom Lens Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Infinity on a Zoom Lens « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Harlee

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 07:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Promaster Spectrum 7 28-210 zoom lens [Canon mt.]which will not coincide the split image at infinity. I've previously reset rangefinder camera lenses [Electro 35] using a second camera focusing through the front of the lens and a scribed ground glass taped to the film plane. Will this method also work on a zoom lens mounted on a slr camera body? Harlee

Stuart Willis

Posted on Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 12:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First satisfy yourself that the camera body itself is sound. That is to say it will register infinity correctly with other suitable lenses.
In this way you are not chasing lens faults which may not exist.

Your first move ought be to adjust/rotate the front element group.
That is - set the lens focus barrel at infinity and whilst viewing the film-plane image on ground glass, then adjust the front element to produce a coincident infinity split image. (The focusing barrel remains at infinity, of course).

The chances are that this will fix the described error but if it does not, then you have a compound problem in that zoom lenses are factory set up by focusing at both ends.
You will therefore need to startover and first focus the rear element group.

Hope this helps

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 11:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Harlee,

Is the lens focusing 'past' infinity, or does it not reach infinity? If focusing past infinity, it might be that the lens was designed to allow for heat expansion, which might affect focus. I have seen this on many Canon lenses and notice it also on my Leica 280mm Telyt.

Another thing - is the focusing discrepancy the same at all zoom settings? What are you using as your 'infinity' reference? Particularly at the 210mm setting infinity has to be real infinity and not a house across the street. For accurate checking specially with long lenses your subject has to be at leat 500 meters away; I prefer to use the moon if weather permits ;-) .....

Also bear in mind that adjusting the infinity setting on a zoom lens tends to be a little more complicated than on a prime lens. Stuart's last paragraph is an indication of what you might run into.

Good luck,

Jan

Harlee

Posted on Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 08:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I paid out a whopping $10 for this lens, so it may end up being a "project" lens for me. I'm supposing the screws holding everything together are under the rubber focusing collar. I don't see any visible screws showing. Thanks for the help guys. Thiswill be helpful. Harlee

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration