Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica mat 124g soft focus Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Yashica mat 124g soft focus « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

yashicamat124guser

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 03:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear All,
I have recently purchased a Yashica mat 124g and the results of the first roll of film produced definate 'soft focus' results. I took the images in hazy sun and compared them to images taken in similar conditions using another 124g (the results of which was very sharp) I made sure the lens was cleaned suitably and that the film was insterted correctly. Apretures used varied between f5.6 and f22.

Does anyone have any ideas as to the fault and if/ how it can be remedied?

Many Thanks in advance

rick

Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 07:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Has the camera been worked on? If the lens looks clear, it sounds like it might have been disassembled and reassembled incorrectly.

yashicamat124user

Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 07:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As far as I know it has not been worked on. The lens looks clear and the shutter fires accurately.

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 10:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Since you say that the camera looks not to have been tampered with, is there a posibility of shoddy development or printing?

Jan

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 06:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The first thing to do is check that the focus of the taking lens actually agrees with the viewing lens. If focus is in agreement, you can then check that the taking lens is assembled correctly.

My guess is that the camera has been opened up. Remember; unfortunately not all incompetent repairers are ham fisted also, would save a lot of grief and money if they were.

rick

Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 09:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yeah, but then where would we get parts cameras from?

: ) =

Weber

Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 12:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try this: Set the shutter to "B", aperture f/3.5 or maximum. Open the camera back and look through the taking lens at a source of light. Does it appear sharp and clear? Often, the inner surface of the rear lens cell (unscrews from film chamber side) may be fogged from shutter lubricants outgassing and condensing on the inner surface of the lens cell. You can unscrew the cell and clean it, but if the shutter is not cleaned up, the lens will fog up again eventually.

yashicamat124guser

Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 02:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, the lens is mucky, as you say its on the inner surface.
Unfortunately, on first inspection I was unable to unsrew the cell, does anyone have any recommendations hoe to unscrew it?
Many Thanks for all your help.

Weber

Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 12:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have taken a pair of longish thin shears, the kind used for cutting hair, and ground (file would work, but would be more tedious) the tips until they were thin enough to fit into the slots at the edges. Then use them to unscrew the lens from the rear. You must be careful that the shears do not slip and scratch anything. The threading is regular right-handed, so turn CCW to unscrew.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration