Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canonet QL17 GIII Focus question Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Canonet QL17 GIII Focus question « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Anirban

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 12:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In my Canonet I tried to focus at a distant lamppost (lens at inf.) and found that when images coincided at the right edge of the yellow spot, they did not exactly coincide at the left edge. Does this mean that the RF mirror is misaligned somehow?

Thanks in advance.
Anirban

jon goodman

Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 07:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Possibly, Anirban. Either I have not seen this problem, or I'm not understanding your description. The images should come together in the center of the yellow spot. I'm a little unclear on the left edge thing. Can you elaborate?
Jon

Anirban

Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 08:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jon,

The images don't coincide on left side of the RF spot, but when I move the camera slightly to view the distant line through the right side of the spot, they coincide.

I hope this description is clear :-) (I am not a native speaker of English).

Thanks,
Anirban

Winfried

Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 02:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think this is normal. I have noticed on other rangefinder cameras that the two images do not coincide precisely when looking into the viewfinder under a certain angle.

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 11:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Agree with Winfried - I have seen this on Canonet, Minolta Hi-Matic, Konica RF etc. With most rangefinder cameras your eye should be centered when looking through the eyepiece.

There is a reason why Leica rangefinder optics alone are more expensive than many complete cameras....

Enjoy your Canonet, Anirban; nothing wrong with it!

All the best,

Jan

Anirban

Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 05:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks everybody for your replies.

This is my second rangefinder camera; the other one is a Yashica Electro GSN, whose diamond spot is far too small for me to notice this issue.

Anirban

jon goodman

Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 06:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry for the delay, Anirban...I wanted to check this against a known good Canonet, and it does the same thing you described.
Jon

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration