Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica TL-Super repair questions Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Yashica TL-Super repair questions « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Squeek

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 10:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm a novice, so forgive me for any stupid questions. My girlfriend used to be in love with this camera years ago, and I want to fix it for her birthday later this month. She is registered for a photography degree program in the fall, and is finally going to do what she loves.

There seems to be two problems, as far as I can tell:
1.) The viewfinder mirror is in the upper position, as it would be during a snap. The glue has also come undone.
2.) It seems that the film advance lever doesn't pull all the way back. Is that just because there's no film in the camera? The indicator next to the lever reads S, if that helps at all.

Thank you all so much for any advice you can offer.

jon goodman

Posted on Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 07:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Squeek...
(1) on the left side of the camera (facing the lens) there is a lever sort of near the top (not the self-timer...this lever is up near the lens). Flip it down, and the mirror should return to its normal place. The glue has come undone? Which glue? I'm lost with that one.

(2) the film advance lever doesn't pull all the way back? You've lost me there, too. This camera does not require film to be loaded in order to work. Is the winding lever loose or what?
Jon

Squeek

Posted on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 08:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the quick response!

1. The lever on the left side of the lens (more of a knob really) will not allow the mirror to come down when the knob is in the up position. When the knob is turned downward, the mirror will flip down if you pull on it with a fingernail. The glue that holds the mirror onto its backing has come undone. I was thinking of rearview mirror glue to replace it.

2. Maybe I'm mixed up. What would you call the lever on the top right side of the camera as you're taking pictures? It's to the right of the shutter speed dial and slightly behind the shoot button. Anyway, it doesn't seem the lever does anything. The 5 manual cameras that I've touched usually have the same lever, and you pull it with your thumb after taking a picture. But there is a feeling of resistance that goes with that. This lever has no resistance. It swings 5-10° and then stops.

Squeek

Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 09:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have until the 16th to get the ball rolling on this project; I need all the help I can get from anybody that can offer it!

Thanks!

jon goodman

Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 09:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry, I have been busy and I missed this. On the TL-Super, I have noticed sometimes the problem you described can be solved with some naphtha. This is going to sound odd, but it may work. Remove the bottom plate (there will be about 3 tiny screws holding it on). Then squirt a few drops of naphtha (Ronsonol cigarette lighter fluid is the same thing) on the mechanism directly under the winding/cocking lever. Then try to cock the camera. What I believe is happening is the camera is not cocking itself completely. Try this and let us know.

As for the mirror, you can re-attach it with a drop or two of auto rearview mirror glue. Just be careful not to make the height of the mirror higher than it currently is. And don't handle the mirror too much...you can degrade the finish.

Hope this helps. The mirror action may improve once we get the camera to the point where it will cock again.
Jon

Squeek

Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 09:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks so much, I will try that tomorrow!

By the way, I found a picture of a page from the instruction manual, and the part I was describing is the film wind lever. The exposure counter is the thing that read S.

Squeek

Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 10:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, I forgot - do you have any suggestions for making the mirror work? I can handle gluing. But what I don't know is why the mirror won't settle in the down position. The mirror will MOVE down, if you push it, but as soon as you let go, it springs back up as if the shutter release was pressed. OH, MAYBE IT'S STUCK BECAUSE THE STUPID LEVER IS STUCK!!! OH I'M SO EXCITED, THANKS FOR LETTING ME BLAB TALK TO YOU SOON!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration