Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolat XG-1 viewfinder/lenses problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Minolat XG-1 viewfinder/lenses problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

jack

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 12:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hello. i have a 1978 minolat XG-1...
there problem with viewfinder or the thing where you place your eye to see the view,,any ..when look you knida see a thick black cloudy line horizonal.......
if you can help me thanks!!

..is it normal that that glass thing that when you shoot a picture that goes up and dowm it only half way>>>>???

sorry for bad descrition ... i couldn't and don;t the names beacause my gran mother gave this camera..Thanks!!!

Henry

Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 09:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Define "halfway"...

When the mirror is all the way down it is supposed to be 45 degrees to the world. When all the way up it completely covers the focusing screen. Anything inbetween, you have a problem.

Henry

jack

Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 01:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

oh never mind on that the half way mirrow.. i fix it ...but thanks!

on the first problem ..;....will i have to open the camera ??to fix??

rick

Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 03:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It could be the same problem: if the mirror is only partway down, you may only see part of the image in the viewfinder, the rest being black, and the boundary between the black part and the working part would look fuzzy.

jack

Posted on Sunday, July 09, 2006 - 11:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

it's not that ...okay you know that black foam on the camera??that that ther glass hits???well it looks liked that ....

to make easier to understand my problem .how do you clean INSIDE of the viewfinder?

Curt

Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 05:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A little alcohol or "Goo Gone" on a Qtip swab and wipe the mirror VERRRYY gently. Do NOT use anything to wipe the focus screen up above the mirror. You can live with a bit of dirt on the focus screen, but you'll ruin it by wiping very hard with almost anything.

jack

Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 10:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i try looking for manuals to open a minilta GX-1 cameras but i couldn't find any..any tips?

Martin Seelig
Tinkerer
Username: Marty1107

Post Number: 1

Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 09:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Unfortunately it sounds as if the foam tape between the prism and its holder has corroded the reflective surface on the prism. This tape provides a cushion surface between the holder and the prism and after many years and probably a little too much heat it breaks downs and eats into the mirror. I think the only way to correct the issue is to remove and replace the tape and the prism and that means you'll need a "cadaver" from which to harvest a good prism.

The line doesn't affect the picture you take; it only affects your ability to view the image and to focus.

I would like to hear from anyone else who might have an alternative solution to this type of problem because I've had to repair several XG-7's, 1's, and an SE this way.

jackie
Tinkerer
Username: Jack

Post Number: 1

Posted on Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 10:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

uhh man .....looks like i 'll to take it to a repair shp..oh well.. thanks!!!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration