Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Re-gluing Rubber grip on OM lens Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Re-gluing Rubber grip on OM lens « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Meyers

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 07:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The rubber grip on my 28mm Olympus OM lens is loose. It is not damaged in any way, it just turns around the lens barrel. I can slip it off the place where it seats easily enough to expose the bare metal below. I want to reglue it back in place, so I figure I need a glue that:

1) is suitable for rubber to metal
2) can be spread thinly
3) doesn't set up too fast so that I can easily slide the rubber grip back in place once I have put the glue in.

Is Pliobond the best glue for this purpose? I have never used it so I don't know. Whatever I end up using, I know that only a few spots of glue are needed.
Thanks.

rick

Posted on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 10:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pliobond probably is about the best. Most of the time I like other brands of contact cement better, as Pliobond is on the thin side (and it doesn't smell real good).... but its thinness may help in spreading it thinly and giving you a little extra time to work.

David Jackson

Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 03:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Go over to your local automotive parts store and pick up some contact cement made by 3M. It comes in Black and Yellow; get the Black. It's runs about $3.00 per tube and it will do a superb job with easy clean-up. Spred it then on both sides let it dry for about 3 minutes and it's done.

David Jackson

Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 03:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Go over to your local automotive parts store and pick up some contact cement made by 3M. It comes in Black and Yellow; get the Black. It's runs about $3.00 per tube and it will do a superb job with easy clean-up. Spread it then on both sides let it dry for about 3 minutes and it's done.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 10:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just a small comment on the above advice to let the adhesive dry before replacing the ring - Do not let it dry, you will never position the ring properly. Only let dry when the rubber/leather trim is in a unjoined strip.

I find any contact adhesive will work. Just position the rubber grip ring on the lens barrel, Then take a couple of wooden cocktail sticks and insert them under the rubber - about 1/4" apart. Do this at three equidistant places, then place nozzle of tube into the gaps and place a drop of adhesive in the space. Remove the cocktail sticks, press the grip down and clean off excess adhesive.

Leave for a few hours for adhesive to set and the rubber ring to shrink back to original size.

This method allows you to place the grip in the correct position, with out any problems of premature bonding.

John Meyers

Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 10:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I like the idea with the cocktail sticks (toothpicks).

The suggestion of applying contact cement to both surfaces and letting become tacky before bonding wouldn't work in my case because the rubber grip is still in one complete ring, which I don't want to cut. I can slide it toward the rear of the lens to expose the metal underneath, but I don't think tacky glue would not allow for sliding back on.

In any event, the toothpicks method sounds great. I'll use the 3M glue if it comes in a tube for easy application (using a brush won't work here). It not, I'll get some Pliobond which comes in a tube -- at least it does from Micro-Tools. I'll see if I can find it locally.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration