Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon AE-1 dirty mirrow Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Canon AE-1 dirty mirrow « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 01:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah the mirrow has black foam it .. i heard when this happen its time for a new shock absorber...where can i buy one >>??? or do i need a pro to change it ..if so how much is the avarage for it?? thanks

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 04:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Look up Jon Goodman's article in the archive, bottom left of screen - Favorite Classics - Camera Articles - 'Jon Goodman's Seal Replacement Instructions'

Contact Jon, he is a regular contributor or find him on eBay trading under the ID 'Interslice'. His kits are both the best and the cheapest. You will need to replace all the light seals and the mirror damper foam - if one bit of foam is bad, the rest will be rubbish also. It is an easy DIY job and with Jon's detailed instructions anybody can do it. Be sure to ask him for his specific instructions for the Canon A Series, they are very helpful if you are replacing seals for the first time.

rick

Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 09:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think Jon includes instructions for cleaning the black crud off your mirror, but here's my method:

Get 2 cotton swabs, some lens tissues and a bottle of lighter fluid. Wrap a lens tissue around a cotton swab, wet it well in lighter fluid and LIGHTLY wipe away the black goo. This will leave your mirror basically clean but with what looks like bad water marks on it.

Take a second dry swab and wrap another (dry) tissue around the tip. Breathe on the mirror and again LIGHTLY wipe away the fog with the tissue on the swab.

You're done.

john

Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 10:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks!!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration