Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Should I spend $115 repairing my Mino... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Should I spend $115 repairing my Minolta X-370? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tracy W.

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 10:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got my Minolta X-370 for my first photography class in 2004 from eBay for $70 dollars, but it broke in two weeks.
Now I want to take a photography class again. So I brought my Minolta X-370 to a camera repair shop and they told me the advancing gear has been broken. They can repair it for $115 dollars.
Should I spend $115 dollars repairing my Minolta X-370 or get a better camera? I will still need a 35mm SLR camera to take a photography class. Thank you.

Roy Randall

Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 12:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Depends on what you mean by a better camera. I'm an old ex-pro photog and for what it's worth I feel that the best way to understand the picture taking process is to use a fully manual camera. They are also cheaper to buy second hand, and there's quite a lot to be said for range finders as well.
To answer your question, I personally wouldn't spend that sort of money, but the choice really has to be yours.
Roy.

Henry

Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 12:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Broken? I have known of several that have slipped and jumped a tooth, but none that have "broken".

Can you remove the bottom cover? You can see the gears and decide yourself. I'm betting they only jumped a tooth. What is your camera doing?

Henry

Ron

Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 02:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd get a different camera. The X-370 isn't made of the best internal materials, it is an aging electronic design with no parts available and the shutter mechanics have been the subject of complaint by many owners for dislocation or jumping track every so often despite careful repair, including the one I once owned.

Older mechanical, manual-focus cameras like the Minolta SRT or Nikon FM2 tend to be very reliable if they've been taken care of. When they do malfunction, they usually can be repaired more easily.

If you desire a reliable electronic-shutter camera, I would either get a much newer mid-priced model or go higher-end - an SLR with a metal-bladed shutter and all-metal internal operating parts (film wind, shutter) usually holds up better.

These days there are so many better-quality working 35mm SLRs out there selling so cheaply, you shouldn't have any trouble finding a good camera, even one that will work for a few years beyond your class without further repairs, if that's what you want.

rick

Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 06:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd go for an SRT-101 (or 102, 201, 202 etc). It's more rugged and reliable than the X-370, you'll learn more from using it, you can use all your current lenses (if you have any) and you can get a good one for $50 or less.

Harlee

Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 07:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try garryscamera.com - he'll repair your 370 for $40 + $8 s/h. He's CLA two of mine, including a Minolta X-700 and did an excellent job. Harlee

Harlee

Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 08:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try garryscamera.com. He CLA your 370 for $40 + $8 s/h. Garry has CLA my X-700 and Canon A-1, and they now perform like new. Harlee

Harlee

Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 08:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry about the double post - the first one didn't show up at first. Harlee

M Currie

Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 - 09:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The 70 bucks on Ebay was probably a pretty fair price for a good X370, and places like KEH.com have them for similar prices or less, depending on condition. It doesn't pay to spend more on repairs than it costs to replace it.

The X370 is not the highest-quality Minolta made, for sure, but I must say that it is a decent little camera and mine, at least, has a very accurate meter that rarely guesses wrong. But higher quality replacements can be found for less than the proposed repair cost.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration