Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

THE RUDE AND THE IGNORANT Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » THE RUDE AND THE IGNORANT « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glenn Middleton

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 08:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I see from the mass of rubbish and shear garbage that has been posted in the last day, that we are under attack from the Rude and Ignorant who populate the Internet.

The more I see of this, the more I agree with the people that say there should be some form of regulation in place. At the very least the service providers should do something about this problem.

As always the actions of a few, ruin it for the majority.

Kar Yan Mak (Admin)

Posted on Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 09:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In the last couple of hours we've been spammed with 24 posts by the same spammer. All messages include a similar word so I've set up a profanity filter on that word.

Later on today, I will try my best to delete the spam messages generated in the past week, which will take me around 30 - 60 mins.

WernerJB

Posted on Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 09:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn, what you complain about has been going on for some time now, and I think that this is what is behind Henry's initiative to begin a thread discussing a renewal of the forum's structure.
Many of those having posted to it are still satisfied with the forum as it is.
Taking action against unwanted intruders will definitely have a decisive effect on the forum's open characteristic and simplicity.
This is to say we should be aware what is at stake if we let the Rude & Ignorant, as you rightly label them, govern our decisions, nothing will then work like a charm any longer; on the other hand reading a lot of useless crap is also very unpleasant,
W.

Henry

Posted on Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 09:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yep, it happened. This is one of the things Kar Yan and I discussed. Guess this puts us over the hump.

It is a pity...

Henry

Brian Shaw
Tinkerer
Username: Brianshaw

Post Number: 1

Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 09:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What a PITA. I hate spammers. I hope the new registration system helps alleviate some of this problem!

Werner J. Becker
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 10:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Kar Yan, hi Henry, everything looks promising, let us all hope for a brighter future, thank you so far for the great job you are doing, W.

Arnold Harris
Tinkerer
Username: Arnoldharris

Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 03:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I must have missed all this over the past few days. I would have thought most spammers concentrate on e-mail annoyance.

There's a good way to handle that, which I use. Change your e-mail address occasionally. However, keep the old one extant but never use it. It will serve as a permanent spam-trap that will save you the trouble of hitting the Del key 250 times a day.

Sometimes the best fixes are the simplest.

Arnold Harris
Mount Horeb WI

Arnold Harris
Tinkerer
Username: Arnoldharris

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 03:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"New member"? Hardly. I've been posting to this website for the past 12 months.

Arnold Harris
Mount Horeb WI

richard a oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 05:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's hard to do that with a public discussion forum. I monitor several that have been under attack lately: typically 100+ spam messages overnight on each one, that all have to be deleted. In these cases they are never seen because messages have to be read and approved before they get posted.... but it's a lot of work, involving people on 4 continents, all working for free. kind of annoying.....

Brian Shaw
Tinkerer
Username: Brianshaw

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 11:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't be offended, Arnold. We all reverted to "newbie" status!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration