Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon A1 shutter button stuck Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Canon A1 shutter button stuck « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Scott Dudley
Tinkerer
Username: Ghost_dog

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 09:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After using a cable release awhile back, my shutter button is stuck in the down position. I can't take photos, and when I switch on the motor drive it starts triggering the shutter over and over until I turn it off. Any ideas?

Doug Willcott
Tinkerer
Username: Fiftyfifty

Post Number: 1

Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 11:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Scott
Have you tried to remove the shutter button? you can do this by using a piece of rubber, press down on the shutter button and unscrew it. Some times this is tight. If you can do this, you will find a thin ( brass ) washer under it,then remove the selector ( speed / aperture ) and another thin washer ( black ).
Try the camera now, if it still fires when using the motor drive, then the job gets harder.
If you look down into where the cable release would fit, you can see a flat plate, this is connected to a small rod that operates the shutter release electrical switch. It is possible this is sticking. If you use a toothpick or the like you can move this plate, and may even dropout if you turn the camera over. If all this free then it will mean, the next step is to remove the top.
i hope this helps

Glenn Middleton
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 12:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you are sure the actual button is stuck in the down position, it is possible that the button has rotated slightly and is jammed in the housing for the off center plate on the operating rod.
This can sometimes be freed by re-attaching a cable release and using the release to rotate/wiggle the alloy button. The black plastic 'dome' is just decoration. A cable release with a long, solid threaded end is best for this. It can take quite a bit of turning and pulling to free the button.
Even if you remove the button you will still need to use a cable release to free the button. Do not apply any pliers/force to the piece of metal that is straked to the extension of the alloy button centre. It will break off if you so much as look at it, wrecking the whole assembly!

Glenn Middleton
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 4

Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 12:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Should have said 'may need to use a cable release to free the button, if it is still stuck on removing the assembly', in my last paragraph. In this instance the alloy button has been twisted when the release was originally fitted/removed, it is the return spring and dirt that is causing the jam.

Scott Dudley
Tinkerer
Username: Ghost_dog

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 10:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow, thanks for the info, guys. I'll give these ideas a try. This is a really great site. :} Thanks again!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration