Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minox 35 Capacitors Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Minox 35 Capacitors « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Roland Schregle
Tinkerer
Username: Ganjatron

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 06:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi folks,

I've got this take-anywhere (even to the dunny :-)) Minox 35GT which seems to be underexposing by 2 stops or more. I read the capacitors for the shutter timing circuit could be responsible, as mentioned for example in this post, which apparenly wound up at a dead end:

https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/forum/messages/674/3612.html

Does anyone know exactly *which* capacitor on the tiny PCB under the camera top this is? The above post mentions 100uF, which AFAIK is only available in electrolytic form (and notorious for aging), but all I see are tantalums, or some other epoxy-covered, colour coded blobs. Any hints appreciated!

Best regards,

--Roland

Glenn Middleton
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 5

Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 08:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Know nowt about this camera, however why blame the shutter? My first job would be to check / calibrate the exposure metering system. There again perhaps you have done this?

Roland Schregle
Tinkerer
Username: Ganjatron

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 08:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Glenn,

the Minox 35's are pretty weird in that there are (I believe) *two* CdS cells: one for the meter in the finder (which is wrong on my 35GT anyway), and another for the autoexposure (which is what really counts, and is apparently off too). I might be wrong, but I think these two circuits aren't even coupled in any way.

Adjusting the shutter times would be the obvious way to go -- only there's nothing to adjust!!! There's not a single potentiometer to be found in that camera! (If there is one, I'd love to hear from someone who knows!) The only adjustment is via the film speed dial on the bottom, which is what I have to resort to at the moment. Not very elegant, eh? :-)

Regards,

--Roland

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration